Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Summit Point 24 September

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Greg - it would be nice to see you again so I hope you do make it out there. 51 can't be on track at same time so they will have to have 2 intermediate groups. Keep in mind that some of those 51 are only Saturday and some are only Sunday. I just looked and as of this morning they have 31 in Advanced, 9 of which are Miatas. Its nice to see a good turn out (dont want see any track day organizers go out of business) but on the other hand too many cars gets frustrating. At least in the advanced group they allow point bys anywhere and for the most part I've found folks are good about it.

Edit - I see in the intermediate group there is a guy signed up with a Ferrari F430. Sweet car, not sure I'd put a precious car like that on Shenandoah. It makes nice video when you pass him :-) The advanced group has Norm in his Radical (uber fast, laps the field) and then the guy in his alpha romeo (very slow) - quite a contrast. I also see a Boss 302 LS signed up, an FR500S, a Tacoma x-runner (WTF is that?) and a SL55 AMG (big car). Some interesting cars for sure.

Last edited by Argonaut; 09-28-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:32 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Greg - it would be nice to see you again so I hope you do make it out there. 51 can't be on track at same time so they will have to have 2 intermediate groups. Keep in mind that some of those 51 are only Saturday and some are only Sunday. I just looked and as of this morning they have 31 in Advanced, 9 of which are Miatas. Its nice to see a good turn out (dont want see any track day organizers go out of business) but on the other hand too many cars gets frustrating. At least in the advanced group they allow point bys anywhere and for the most part I've found folks are good about it.

Edit - I see in the intermediate group there is a guy signed up with a Ferrari F430. Sweet car, not sure I'd put a precious car like that on Shenandoah. It makes nice video when you pass him :-) The advanced group has Norm in his Radical (uber fast, laps the field) and then the guy in his alpha romeo (very slow) - quite a contrast. I also see a Boss 302 LS signed up, an FR500S, a Tacoma x-runner (WTF is that?) and a SL55 AMG (big car). Some interesting cars for sure.

Brad, sup dude! Yep, my wife signed off on my "Weekend Track Pass" yesterday with the stipulation that I don't stay in a hotel...looks like I'm coming out both days and camping! I'm leaving the house around 0500-ish on Saturday so I can get there with plenty of time to setup HQ.

Hey, if you watch my video from the front page, I think that's an F430 that I pass, right? I also remember that Radical from May...matter of fact there is a youtube vid out there from that same May event with him killing the "competition". The guy with the FR500S I THINK is the same dude from when I went out there on the 10th and 11th and his hood blew back and smashed his windshield on his very first run. So, he never got a chance to run it...so I think he's back.

Short note on the FR500S: Sep 10th when I was talking to the owner, we were talking about competition car weight, and how after a race you have to go straight to inspection to get weighed to make sure you're like 3800lbs almost on the money lol. So, FR500S has a HUGE wing on the trunk. He popped the trunk and had me hold it up. Man, talk about a strain on the arms. I didn't think those wings weighed that much lol. Track intro vid rolling by S197 FR500S and Saleen. I think it's the same guy. Name on the roster looks familiar, but I could be wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyIkAfIBAcE

So, I exchanged emails with Jeremy (one of the TrackDaze co-owners) about the run groups. They are definitely doing what you said, and breaking up the intermediates. Here's the catch: Blue is going to have "typical" passing zones, but to include the short straight between turns 17 and 18. Yellow on the other hand is going to be passing ANYWHERE with a point-by. He explained that they want as few trains as possible and will be black-flagging anyone who is holding up faster cars.

He said if I wanted to be in Yellow, just add it to the comments section when registering. So, I did. Put me in yellow!

He also said they are looking at adding the high-horsepower cars to Yellow by default...so, intermediate drivers with non-spec miatas might all be sitting in Blue to the chagrin of a couple buddies of mine lol.

Last note: I think there were a couple X-Runners at VIR last November when we both went down. X-Runners, Lightnings and other street trucks are the only ones allowed at these events...and I think it's because they're all geometrically set up for "street duty", reducing things like rolling over, etc.

Last edited by moochman4life; 09-28-2011 at 11:37 AM.