Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

handling plus lowering

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 01:15 PM
docez

Default handling plus lowering

looking for some advice on lowering my 2007 GT and improving the handling mostly for day to day drives I occasionally go to open nights at a local 1/4 mile but ultimately my biggest goal is to simply improve the handling and give my car a lower aggressive look.

I'm new to the car culture and have been doing some research everyone seems to speak highly of eibach but I'd really like some feed back on what the best course would be I'm thinking coilovers maybe new sway bars but it seems the more I research the more questions I have! if sway bars are a good idea more feedback on those would be wonderful as well I haven't found much on who the better companies are for those parts are
Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Not sure what part of NC you're from but one of the guys in the Fayetteville area (Jayman) just decided to sell his Coilover setup check out the classified section.

It's hard to dictate what you should get because everyone has different needs/wants/desires. I have the Ford K springs on mine, they improved handling and give it a nice stance but they maybe firmed the ride up a little too much for some people?

Last edited by Jeffk; 10-18-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:03 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
Not sure what part of NC you're from but one of the guys in the Fayetteville area (Jayman) just decided to sell his Coilover setup check out the classified section.

It's hard to dictate what you should get because everyone has different needs/wants/desires. I have the Ford K springs on mine, they improved handling and give it a nice stance but they maybe firmed the ride up a little too much for some people?
Agree with JeffK, it all depends on what you are looking for, driving habits and your style of "spirited driving".

If you are looking for an "overall package" there are some things to consider with the 05-09's. Definitely spend the extra $$$ and replace the strut mounts as lowering the car will wear out the OEM ones a lot faster. They are also prone to a lot of "cluncking & thunking", so it's a plus to change them out.
Definitely start with a spring/shock/mount package
Your car will also shift "off center" once lowered, so eventually you will need to look into an adjustable panhard or watts link to recenter the car.

If you are daily driving, then i would suggest nothing more than a 1.5" drop as this will still give you some ride comfort and improved handling. but again, to each their own...if you want a slammed look, drop it 2"
Personally, Eibach or FRPP springs is the way to go.

Sway bars on the 05-09's are a definite improvement, but again will depend on how you're spending the "spirited driving". Most will suggest non-adjustable for daily driving and adjustable for road racing/auto-cross.
This will be the biggest difference between firm, stiff and rigid.

If you look thru Ford Racing Parts, you will see a few kits that will give you exactly what you need
Old 10-19-2012, 07:29 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by docez
looking for some advice on lowering my 2007 GT and improving the handling mostly for day to day drives I occasionally go to open nights at a local 1/4 mile but ultimately my biggest goal is to simply improve the handling and give my car a lower aggressive look.
With improved handling as a stated goal, go with only moderate lowering - an inch to maybe an inch and a quarter (definitely no more than an inch and a half at either end).

You'll want better shocks and struts than OE, absolutely so if you're still driving around on the 2007 originals. And if you're going to swap in some stiffer "lowering" springs, you might as well do the dampers at the same time.

Stabilizer bars are just another means of tuning the handling balance. not magic bullets. Adjustables are nice even if you only tinker with them once or twice in the beginning to put the understeer/oversteer balance where it's comfortable for you.

For springs, the Steeda line is also pretty popular, and offer both linear rate and "progressive" springs. You might want to consider what your true preference between handling and appearance might be, as linear springs are oriented more toward handling performance and progressives tend more toward ride quality. The decision to get linear or progressive should be yours rather than mine or anybody else's.

Norm
Old 10-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I do not recommend the Ford Racing kits. They are nothing special. They don't make their own stuff, and the stuff they tend to use is ok at best. The FRPP dampers (non-adjustables) ride like crap, the adjustables are just D-specs. You can do way better. I prefer to use Steeda springs most of the time. And FRPP's sway bars are not both adjustable, and sometimes are a bit too stiff in the rear than they should be.

I'm going to do what I normally do. Offer up my phone number for you to call me. 814 849 3450. We can discuss the wants (and this is something to think about, mostly about how you want the car to behave better, look, etc) and budget and figure out the best course of action for what you want... not some kit you picked out of a catalog. You certainly don't need to call me, and I ask if you do that when it comes time to get some parts you keep in mind the information you get here.

There are a lot of options... lots. I try and help you work through them.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:59 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

I'm new to the car culture and have been doing some research everyone seems to speak highly of eibach but I'd really like some feed back on what the best course would be I'm thinking coilovers maybe new sway bars but it seems the more I research the more questions I have! if sway bars are a good idea more feedback on those would be wonderful as well I haven't found much on who the better companies are for those parts are
Norm has some good advice.

I would recommend our Ultralite springs (lowers approximately 1.25" [F] & 1.5" [R], improves handling/reduces nose dive/accel squat), adjustable panhard bar (re-centers the rear end after lowering), and heavy-duty upper strut mounts (stronger than OE and allows camber adjustment after lowering) for you at a minimum for what you are looking to accomplish.

Our adjustable rear swaybars (will help reduce body roll/sway) and upper/lower control arms (will help eliminate wheel hop) would also be a good idea to upgrade.

Let me know if I can help you with anything. I can setup a package deal for you if you want to get a couple of different things.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:59 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Here's what I did to my '06 GT, and I'm extremely happy with it!

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...g-package.html

The cool thing about my setup is that it dramatically improved the cornering ability, without hurting the straight line grip. You definitely don't want to go too stiff on the springs if you want to drag race occasionally.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:56 PM
7gtthrilla
2nd Gear Member

Eibach is one of the top companies along with steeda and a few others. Go to the vendors section and you'll get a great idea of who is consistently top rated as performance goes. For a noob, you're heading down the right track but just like everybody else said it all depends on what you want and how you want your car to handle. I will say that lowering your car is a great start for suspension and handling upgrades, especially for body roll
Old 11-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 7gtthrilla
Eibach is one of the top companies along with steeda and a few others. Go to the vendors section and you'll get a great idea of who is consistently top rated as performance goes. For a noob, you're heading down the right track but just like everybody else said it all depends on what you want and how you want your car to handle. I will say that lowering your car is a great start for suspension and handling upgrades, especially for body roll
Eibach is one of the top companies is it? Based on what, name recognition? I sell Eibach, I've used plenty of FRPP pieces (raced a Shelby GT that had the FR3 on it stock). We can do better, period.

This is a very simplistic answer that is pretty typical of what we tend to find on the all knowing internet. No detail, nothing but an opinion.

I can't.... no, I won't, recommend something to a customer without a good understanding of what he/she wants to change about how the car works. And sorry "handle better" isn't a good explanation, not too many folks call looking to make the handle worse. Of course you want it better, but if I don't know what you dislike in some way, shape, or form, it's kinda hard to fix the issue, you know what I mean?

Sure, body roll is one I hear a lot. But springs alone don't deal with roll, so do sway bars, (and they both add wheel rate and have to work as a team). Dampers do too, but they don't cut it, they change the rate at which it's generated... and it's a big enough change I get a lot of "I love it my car doesn't roll anymore"'s back from folks with a damper change only. Not true, but the rate change is that noticeable that it feels like less.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:20 PM
jayman33
Banned

I agree with same on this.