Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Help/Comments Requested - About to lower my 08

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Bigplans87

Default Help/Comments Requested - About to lower my 08

Hello,

I am new to mustang forums but requesting assistance because I am planning on lowering my 08 gt. I have already installed BBK longtube headers but have found my steering shaft to be extremely close to the header (driver side), will lowering the car effect this close relationship good/bad/nothing? Did others have similar issues? I have attempted already to slightly offset the motor more to the passenger side with in the motor mount limits and it helped. Only on banked cornering do I ever feel the shaft come in to contact with the header.

I would also appreciate feed back on the following set-up that I have in mind. I know its last minute by I might buy shocks and struts tonight - CYBER MONDAY!!

Shocks and Struts - Tockico HP series
Lowering Springs - SR performance
Panhard Bar - J&M aluminum
Caster Camber plates - Ford Racing GT500 Style
Lower control arms - J&M (not sure if will include or not)

I appreciate the help!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:44 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

The steering shaft and motor will be lowered with the car, it won't make the shaft get closer to the headers.
I would suggest Koni STR.T struts and shocks, but Tokico's are fine too.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 AM
Jay@Hypermotive
Former Sponsor

Send me a pm, I'll work out a nice package for ya!!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Bigplans87

Thats what i was thinking, that the distance would remain fixed, I appreciate your help - i indeed go with the Konis as well depends whats on sale at time of purchase
Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Bigplans87

Hey Jay, by pm do you mean your email - Jay@hypermotive.com? where are you in NC? I am around the Charlotte area
Old 11-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Jay@Hypermotive
Former Sponsor

Right outside fort Bragg. You can pm, email or call me for any questions.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:14 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bigplans87
Hello,

I am new to mustang forums but requesting assistance because I am planning on lowering my 08 gt. I have already installed BBK longtube headers but have found my steering shaft to be extremely close to the header (driver side), will lowering the car effect this close relationship good/bad/nothing? Did others have similar issues? I have attempted already to slightly offset the motor more to the passenger side with in the motor mount limits and it helped. Only on banked cornering do I ever feel the shaft come in to contact with the header.

I would also appreciate feed back on the following set-up that I have in mind. I know its last minute by I might buy shocks and struts tonight - CYBER MONDAY!!

I appreciate the help!
As was mentioned, lowering the car will not change the position of the steering shaft.

Are you still running the factory engine mounts? Aftermarket engine mounts are a significant upgrade for our cars. The factory mounts have a ridiculous amount of play.

Of course, I'd suggest not only UPR engine mounts, but also UPR for the control arms and panhard bar. We're offering 15% off on Wednesday, for the last day of our Black Friday sale.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bigplans87
Hello,

I appreciate the help!

God you could do so much better.

The shocks, I'd never run those over Koni STR.T's ($405/set), but ultimately I'd recommend Koni Sports

Springs. What are the details on the SR Performance springs? Other than they are cheap. Rates? Who is actually winding them? Etc. Cheap springs aren't hard to make. Durable high quality springs are, and more to the point springs that you know what you are dealing with in terms of rates etc. I use Steeda springs almost all the time, but carry other brands for the few times a Steeda spring might not be appropriate.

Panhard bar: No way would I recommend Aluminum. I have seen them bend on Mustangs. Lots of lateral load through a very long bar. You want steel. I do UMI or Steeda PHB's... or if you really want the thing to work you forgo all PHB's for a Watts linkage and rid yourself of the arcing motion the body moves in with any PHB.

Caster/Camber plates: The ones you mentioned... aren't. They are in no way adjustable for either caster or camber. They are just strut mounts, and not really any different than what you have stock, but for some stiffer rubber.

Lower control arms: I recommend you wait, lowering a car tends to kill most hopping issues these have at stock height. If not, we can address it when we know we NEED to.

Now I realize that the parts I mentioned might not be the cheapest stuff, but it is very proven stuff, that makes people very happy time and again. I also can back up my reasoning with detail if you wish, via the phone. I'm very upfront and honest, and if something isn't good, I'll tell you. I'll also tell you if you are going to waste a lot of money on junk, or on things you might not need, or won't help.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:05 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

My set up has worked beautifully. Sam is very straightforward and won't sell you something you don't need. It's a good idea to think about what the car handling wise does and doesn't do based on your specific set of goals for the car. Call Sam, he will help.