Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

A few recalls on my 2005 Saleen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 03:21 AM
Saleen#41

Default RE: A few recalls on my 2005 Saleen?

I happened to take my Saleen to the dealer today, where I had to make an appointment for a month away. (I thought maybe they could just look at it quickly, and order the parts, guess I was wrong) Another thing, I found out there is only one Saleen dealer in my state. (Seattle-Bickford) It is the second largest Saleen dealer in the nation, but they did seem rude. Are they all that way? Can't we all just get along?? hehe

Sowaxeman, thanks for the heads up on the headrest, when I read it, I thought to myself, "Mine can't be that way". Sure enough, I go out there, and they are really warped. I was wondering, has anyone had a problem with their shifter feeling sloppy? And making noise? Because mine does. I thought I read somewhere about a gear problem with the 05 Saleen. I test drove a 2006 S/C model, and the first thing I noticed was that the gearshift was nice and tight. I guess I thought all of them were that way. When I test drove the 06 S/C model, I liked it, but I think Saleen must have a really conservative tune. Because I drove a friends who had a JDM tune, and the "475" upgrade, and it was like night and day. (I plan on getting the "Stage 2" kit from JDM) I was lucky enough to find a local shop that works with JDM and installs their tunes, etc. I also liked the S/C hood, and my wife loves the wing, but I'm not sure about it. In person it's alot more prominent I noticed.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:33 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

The shifter is the stock GT shifter with a Saleen short throw adaptor, so yeah its a tad sloppy. No noise that I notice though [&:] I removed the Saleen Billet **** and installed my favorite black B&M T-handle, so now it is even shorter and definitely more of precise shift IMO. Plus it looks pretty cool sitting so damn low to the console

I've read that you can make some adjustments to the stock shifter to help with the sloppiness, but ultimately I think a Hurst or Pro 5.0 shifter would be the best bet.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Burke0011
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Saleen#41
When I test drove the 06 S/C model, I liked it, but I think Saleen must have a really conservative tune. Because I drove a friends who had a JDM tune, and the "475" upgrade, and it was like night and day. (I plan on getting the "Stage 2" kit from JDM) I was lucky enough to find a local shop that works with JDM and installs their tunes, etc.
Oh yeah - I learned that REAL quick. It sure is and doesn't remove all the stock Spanish Oak programming regarding throttle delay, etc.....

Any knowledgable tuner will tell you the stock tune is pretty lame.....[:@]

JDM is the way to go though - those guys rock and have a great rep!
Old 08-29-2006, 01:33 PM
dotbomb
3rd Gear Member

I found out there is only one Saleen dealer in my state. (Seattle-Bickford) It is the second largest Saleen dealer in the nation, but they did seem rude. Are they all that way? Can't we all just get along?? hehe
Not suprised. They are gouging bigtime on the GT500's. They have secured an allocation of about 20 GT500's by purchasing a fist full of power lease options at $10k a pop. I understand that the Ford GT they have on hand has been there a long long time too and they are still insisting on markup.

Maybe if you paid 25k over sticker on a GT500 they'd treat you better...

Old 08-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Saleen#41

About the sloppy gearshifter, The 06 that I drove was so tight, I mean mine is really sloppy. And it's getting noisier every day. I'm hoping that they don't just say, "well the transmissions are different, sorry". Even though I would think they are both the same. That was the first thing I noticed when I drove the 06, when you shifted into a gear, the shifter wouldn't move. With mine, after it's in gear, I can just take the whole stick, and wobble it back and forth. Soaxeman, is yours that way? I just can't believe that they are that much different! It's not the shifter handle, because doesn't that just unscrew? This is the whole shifter.

Well, I guess I'll find out if they will replace it in a month, it sucks to have to wait that long but I have no other option. I guess I could drive like 50 miles to the next closest dealer. lol

Old 08-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Excalbur7

Yes I am running stock tune in less prevous owner changed it . I dont think he did being only 3000 miles on the car. and if stock your saying 135miles pre hour is common?
Old 08-30-2006, 11:05 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

About the sloppy gearshifter, The 06 that I drove was so tight, I mean mine is really sloppy. And it's getting noisier every day. I'm hoping that they don't just say, "well the transmissions are different, sorry". Even though I would think they are both the same. That was the first thing I noticed when I drove the 06, when you shifted into a gear, the shifter wouldn't move. With mine, after it's in gear, I can just take the whole stick, and wobble it back and forth. Soaxeman, is yours that way? I just can't believe that they are that much different! It's not the shifter handle, because doesn't that just unscrew? This is the whole shifter.

Well, I guess I'll find out if they will replace it in a month, it sucks to have to wait that long but I have no other option. I guess I could drive like 50 miles to the next closest dealer. lol

When in gear, mine is a tad sloppy but not a whole lot like its sounds like you're describing. The Saleen shift **** was considerable taller than the B&M T handle, thus it made the throw even shorter and perhaps made the "sloppiness" seem less noticeable [&:]
Old 08-31-2006, 03:28 PM
Bob D.
2nd Gear Member

That was the first thing I noticed when I drove the 06, when you shifted into a gear, the shifter wouldn't move. With mine, after it's in gear, I can just take the whole stick, and wobble it back and forth.
I have an '05 with the stock Saleen short-throw adapter and shifter setup, and it is one of the things I love best about the car. It is very crisp and tight both in shift feel and while in gear. It sounds to me like something is definitely not right with your shifter.

If another dealer is 50 miles away, personally I would drive there rather than interact with a dealer who was rude or a month behind schedule. Fifty miles is nothing but a quick jaunt in a Saleen.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:33 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

With the stock tune the car top speed is at 150 I believe. Yes, all the Saleen dealers I have been to personally are extremely rude. They treat the cars like they are Enzo's.