Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

anyone have any experience with edelbrock 20334?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 03:16 PM
mystery544

Default anyone have any experience with edelbrock 20334?

Sorry I'm probably going to post a lot of questions in the near future, as a new owner, and someone learning how to work on the car myself.

There's a few things I'm looking at first upgrading, intake + carb, and an AC kit. But first - does anyone have any good reviews on the edelbrock 20334? I can't find anything online really - just places that sell them w/o reviews. Or do you guys have any suggestions?

67 Mustang 289 Bored to 302, unknown cam (seller said his friend bought and installed it, said it was "just under racing" so who really knows), currently automatic but tossing around the idea of throwing a T5 in.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:24 PM
Gun Jam

so thats an RPM Air Gap intake and a carter AFB carb.

I run the RPM Air Gap with a Holley but had the AFB on it for a while too...I think the holley or (Quick fuel HR series carb is a way better setup but maybe not in your case) The AFB is more likley to run better right out of the box so much so that most people barley tune them which would be good in your case. I have found the QFT / Holley HR series to be better built, deliver more power, easier to make changes to and more difficult to tune right (but runs better when tuned well)

Old 06-23-2018, 11:05 AM
mystery544

Ok, so if I were to go get it tuned, what would you suggest for better performance and quality?

(I was going to get it tuned anyways, as it reeks of fuel when you gas it)
Old 06-23-2018, 07:42 PM
Gun Jam

I cant suggest getting it tuned. I went that route when I was new to the Holley and quickly discovered I cant be married to a shop to do my carb work the only thing they were good for was motivation to learn how to tune it myself. its not difficult but you need to know how that change effects the system.

My only 2 suggestions is 1: start reading about turning hollies and learn how they work. watch youtube videos read stuff on the internet (use multiple sources) ask questions here, maybe buy a book. Research the difference between the double pumper and the vac secondary systems (I run double pumper). You should know what boosters are (straight, down leg, annular) and how CFM should be matched to engine size then ask tech support what they think..finally make a decision about what carb you want to buy (a holly or QFT and a double pumper or vac) if all of that sounds fun and exciting to you and you want to have fun experimenting with tuning it.

if it sounds like hell to you...get the afb thing

2: if you go with the learn to tune route buy a quality wideban AFR gauge they are very very helpful and I think a requirement of anyone less than godlike who wants to get close to a good tune. I use an older PLX 500 with a bosh o2 sensor its been a very reliable system over the past 10 years or more. So maybe look into the PLX brand and start there
Old 06-23-2018, 09:49 PM
mystery544

Hey man, I just want to say thanks for all the help. I'll look into everything, and keep this saved for reference
Old 06-23-2018, 10:03 PM
Gun Jam

I've got mine dialed in very well and im happy with it I liked learning about them and watching how that carb reacted to changes I made.

Holley owns QFT and the parts are interchangeable (90%) the main difference is the QFT has more freedom to tune. For example there is a very high interaction between Idle Feed Restrictors (IFRs) and main jets matching the two takes it from okay driveabilty to excellent. The holley does not allow you to modify these if you want to make a change you have to drill them and you wont guess right the first time. With the QFT you just screw in a different IFR jet and have fun

the holley allows you to change main jets, power valves, accel pump cams and discharge nozzles, and vac 2nd springs if applicable. The qft does all that plus IFRs, PVCRs, and high speed and idle air bleeds. With IRFs and PVCRs being quite critical for excellent performance which you cant change on the holley.

have fun!