General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is this and/or identify assembly line marking

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 04:21 PM
penright

Default Is this and/or identify assembly line marking

While replacing the fuel pump on an 02 Mustang Convertable, I had to pull some trim off from inside the trunk area. Yes, I broke the end of the filler neck. Anyway,
I found these markings on the inside of the plastic that holds the back liner in place.
Is this an assembly line marking? If so what is it?
Old 07-24-2019, 01:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Are you the original owner?

That looks like a salvage yard mark to me. Salvage/junk yards often mark parts for quick reference and they'll commonly use white or yellow paint pens to write with. Looks like someone replaced the part you pulled before, maybe for the same reason?
Old 07-24-2019, 04:39 PM
penright

Originally Posted by Derf00
Are you the original owner?

That looks like a salvage yard mark to me. Salvage/junk yards often mark parts for quick reference and they'll commonly use white or yellow paint pens to write with. Looks like someone replaced the part you pulled before, maybe for the same reason?
I see what you are talking about. I need to look at the title. We went to church with the owner and it was his driver for a while. I am not sure if it was a program car or trade-in. It had about 30,000 miles when we bought it.
Our Civic was driven by a factory big wig and he was in a fender bender on the front end. I think the factory must have fixed it because I looked and looked for the smallest sign of repair and could not find it. I knew it had been wrecked before because of the carfax.

As mention earlier, I was replacing the fuel pump and broke off the end of the filler neck. Link to fuel pump replacement thread.
This is a plastic part, that uses the "interior style fuzzy push pins" to hold it on. Then it holds on the very back trunk trim. I will take some better pictures, it would be nice to know the correct names.

I am having a hard time making out the markings. First-line 4247 and the second line 2.28?

Old 07-25-2019, 01:29 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Could be y247, 2.28 looks right. To me it just looks like a yard IDcode and date. The ID Code could be be the last four of the VIN it was pulled from, a physical location of the car it was from in the yard, or some ID code in the yards system for part category, who knows.