Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

05+ WRX STI vs. 05+ STANG GT??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 10:54 PM
steveee

Default RE: 05+ WRX STI vs. 05+ STANG GT??

ORIGINAL: BicketyBam

ORIGINAL: doodad
never driven STI so l cant compare.. oh also dude, NO IT WASN'T A JOKE.. l was serious.. what do you expect, know anything about any cars?
Not sure what that means, but before I even test drove an STI I knew would out handle a Mustang. They are kind of known for their handling.
STi has amazing handling. A few suspension goodies really set it apart from the crowd. The GT im sure is no slouch though. I'm here on the forum to learn about mustangs in general. I really love the saleen sc and might opt for one as my next car. Like the above guy said, I can't really compare because I've never driven a Mustang. I was always under the assumption they felt a bit floaty though, and handling wasn't their strong point. Can anyone shed some light on this? I just find it hard to believe after seeing some local drivers really put their mustangs to use.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:06 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 05+ WRX STI vs. 05+ STANG GT??

ORIGINAL: steveee

STi has amazing handling. A few suspension goodies really set it apart from the crowd. The GT im sure is no slouch though. I'm here on the forum to learn about mustangs in general. I really love the saleen sc and might opt for one as my next car. Like the above guy said, I can't really compare because I've never driven a Mustang. I was always under the assumption they felt a bit floaty though, and handling wasn't their strong point. Can anyone shed some light on this? I just find it hard to believe after seeing some local drivers really put their mustangs to use.
Handling has typically not been the Mustang's strong point in the past. But Ford has made bounding advancements with the 05+ Mustangs. They have a bigger wheelbase and much much stiffer chassis, and handle quite well for an American "musclecar". Now, once you do an aftermarket suspension workup (which might cost 740-1300 bucks), these cars handle 20-40% better than they do stock.

And if you're considering a Saleen 281SC, you'll be getting probably one of the best handling street Mustangs ever. Saleen puts alot of importance on his cars being a balance of power and maneuverability. It may not be WRX handling territory (cuz obviously the mustang still weighs more).....but it still won't disappoint.