Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

03 Lightning vs 07 GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 08:04 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 03 Lightning vs 07 GT

Even with that magical ram air the SS/WS6 cars were still making more than the 325 claimed..hell even the C5 seems a bit under-rated when you consider a 345hp C5 put down 310+ rwhp (seen it MANY times). Either they had 10% drivetrain loss or they purposely left a little out on the table as well.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:29 AM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

Gotta be careful with those Lightnings, my brother-in-law has his pushing about 430 to the wheels and dips into the mid-low 12's. The one time I ran him at the track he went around me like I was driving a Dodge Omni.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I ran one at the track a few times last Friday night. He had a 6lb pulley, CAI, Tune, DRs,and Control arms. He was running 12.73 at 106 with a 1.85 60 foot. He said he has been running 12.50s.I trapped a little higher and we actually ran neck and neck since I beat him at the tree a little. So he would basically gain on me and then hold there beside me. It wasn't a problem holding him off on top end. Those trucks are impressive as hell, especially with their weight.A friend of mine that works on my car has one and he says the Lightning has a cast crank. Why would ford put a cast crank in a FI vehicle?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:59 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Morbid Intentions

and after all is said and done the lightning produces around 380-390RWHP @ 480-490lbs tq. and runs 12's whereas the GT just comes out of the deal having a closer gear ratio

After all is said and done it's still a heavy truck.

then the gear advantage is still there with the lightning as the big ratio they like to go with is 3.73 (up from their stock 3.55's in the earlier models) and all the bolt on's are right there for it and cost the same as the S197's mods

What's their final gear ratio? I'm sure their tire diameter is much larger than a mustangs.

and I also might mention the engine is already setup for FI so all you need is a KB blower unit that will set you back about 3K... no other components needed... although once you get into the KB route the stock auto tranny will need to be replaced but that's the only negative comparing it to a mustang GT... and even then it's more of an equal negative as the mustang's tranny will need to be swapped after that much power as well.... the 5.4L forged bottom end is a big advantage in dollar for dollar as well... something the mustang will need to stop and replace

You've never heard of a 5spd manual? I even have the stock clutch still.

the FI 5.4L is just a better performer per dollar no matter how much you look at it... the biggest misconception with these engines is that people think they are a 4V DOHC design whereas they are a 2V SOHC engine

I agree it's a better engine, but it's still in a much heavier truck. Dollar for dollar it's hard to beat a blown 4.6L, unless you want a used car.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:19 AM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: Morbid Intentions

and after all is said and done the lightning produces around 380-390RWHP @ 480-490lbs tq. and runs 12's whereas the GT just comes out of the deal having a closer gear ratio

After all is said and done it's still a heavy truck.

then the gear advantage is still there with the lightning as the big ratio they like to go with is 3.73 (up from their stock 3.55's in the earlier models) and all the bolt on's are right there for it and cost the same as the S197's mods

What's their final gear ratio? I'm sure their tire diameter is much larger than a mustangs.

and I also might mention the engine is already setup for FI so all you need is a KB blower unit that will set you back about 3K... no other components needed... although once you get into the KB route the stock auto tranny will need to be replaced but that's the only negative comparing it to a mustang GT... and even then it's more of an equal negative as the mustang's tranny will need to be swapped after that much power as well.... the 5.4L forged bottom end is a big advantage in dollar for dollar as well... something the mustang will need to stop and replace

You've never heard of a 5spd manual? I even have the stock clutch still.

the FI 5.4L is just a better performer per dollar no matter how much you look at it... the biggest misconception with these engines is that people think they are a 4V DOHC design whereas they are a 2V SOHC engine

I agree it's a better engine, but it's still in a much heavier truck. Dollar for dollar it's hard to beat a blown 4.6L, unless you want a used car.

Am I getting some hostile Lighting vibes? Morbid brought-up some good points. Think about it, a factory supercharged motor is set-up to go, you save a lot of time and money when you are not trying to beef-up everything else to handle the power, it is already done for you. The gears are still good, even though the tires are bigger, and if you not think so, they can swap gears in a Lighting, just asthey can in any other Ford 8.8 rearend.

If I had a Lighting or Harley Davison F-150, I would get a pulley, CAI, upper plenum, exhaust work, tune, larger heat exchanger,and a bed cover. That is really mild compared to what you chould do to them, but still a bad as$$ truck with minimal bolt-ons.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:38 AM
rd50stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT_Stang

Can a stock s197 beat a lightning?
It's very close. I've got a friend with a stock 07 GT 5spd. And a friend with an 03 lightning. From a stop the lightning won by about half a car to a car lengthevery time.The guyhas also ran an automatic s197 GT and beat it by 1-1.5 cars i think, in his lightning. Not sure on howmuchwasn't there to witness that race.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:52 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Stock for stock they shoukd be close enough to call it a drivers race.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:59 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94Blk5.0

Am I getting some hostile Lighting vibes? Morbid brought-up some good points. Think about it, a factory supercharged motor is set-up to go, you save a lot of time and money when you are not trying to beef-up everything else to handle the power, it is already done for you. The gears are still good, even though the tires are bigger, and if you not think so, they can swap gears in a Lighting, just asthey can in any other Ford 8.8 rearend.

If I had a Lighting or Harley Davison F-150, I would get a pulley, CAI, upper plenum, exhaust work, tune, larger heat exchanger,and a bed cover. That is really mild compared to what you chould do to them, but still a bad as$$ truck with minimal bolt-ons.
I was just countering some of his points which didn't seem all that good. Why is that hostile lightning vibes? A used 2004 lighting will set you back more than a new mustang GT. A supercharged truck is not the first thing I think of when I want a fast vehicle. It's right behind a dodge charger. I'm not up on my lightning specs, but lets see what it takes to get in the 11's with a lightning.

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-1-li...re-please.html

Now a new mustang all it takes is a supercharger of your choosing and a tire. Does the 5.4L in the lightning even have forged internals? You can't just keep changing pulleys like on a cobra.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well looking online it seems to have atleast forged pistons, no mention of the crank or rods. Anyway it's a heavy truck. If I needed a fast truck it's the best thing going, but it's going to hit a speed barrier much sooner than a lighter car.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

I'm not up on my lightning specs, but lets see what it takes to get in the 11's with a lightning.

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-1-li...re-please.html
notice the gen 1.... you obviously aren't up to date on lightning specs if you think a gen 1 lightning has a FI 5.4L and not a N/A 5.8L carb engine, my points were actually pretty good.... you were just finding things to nitpick at because you have a 3V and want to defend it... it's to be expected

I respect your car I really do... and I think you have alot of tech info to offerbut I don't really think you should be talking about this subject if you think agen one lighting are the new ones with the supercharged 5.4L

this is what it takes to run 11's with a Gen 2
http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...ting54_26L.htm

and that's a 3K unit....

Quick Reply: 03 Lightning vs 07 GT