Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Ever raced a SRT8?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:06 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SubTexel
I know how much people like dragtimes.... But, http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge--Chal...ag-Racing.html

Both @ 108... What stock Chargers trap as well, well some get into the 110s with super awesome weather and when stars align and all that crap. But yeah, 3mph less than your 111 trap. Countless Charger / 300 SRT8s trapping that stock, with the trend being a little higher.

So really, @ 4k lbs and 425hp (flywheel, 375rwhp... so ok, a little under rated @ the flywheel) these cars should be doing what traps / ETs? With what gears? I'm not seeing what your argument is, maybe other than the fact you just don't like them. Which is fine, but don't go expecting miracle traps / ETs just because it has X amount of HP / TQ... It does take X amount of HP/TQ to move X amount of weight, unless it's powered by fairies, leprechauns and the tears of 2V new edge owners.

I mean, look @ a lot of the blown S197s, they're sitting @ over 450rwhp or so and pulling what? Low 12s @ 113 or so... Quite a few on here (and seen quite a few @ the track), so shouldn't they be dipping into the mid 11s? Lower? With faster traps? What about the GT500? Low to mid 12s stock? (With good drivers) Shouldn't that be, according to your logic, somewhere into the mid to low 11s stock? And for that price? Man, it should be much faster...

No, not really.

(<--- Not butt hurt and making sure this post isn't meant to be taken seriously)
actually I do like the car, it's a beautiful car. I just honestly thought it was going to be faster when I drove it. To me it "felt" like a high 13 second car (at best), that may be because it was brand new. I've heard that the computers restrict them until the reach a certain mileage. I haven't driven it since.
I know my car is much lighter and has decent power, gears, suspension, etc. But I would have thought that with the power that car makes it would have seemed closer to my speed, but I IMO it pulled like a stock new edge.
With the link that you posted, click on the link under "car", then click on the "Challenger-STR8 Videos" link and you'll see this. http://www.dragtimes.com/video-viewer.php?v=V9EMsiojNQ8 13.8 @ 103 with the standard tranny, my dads is an auto (that's all they had in '08) which according to them is faster... so who knows

Last edited by 01GT4.6; 09-26-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:47 AM
SkillzDatKillz
Mista High School Playa

Originally Posted by 01GT4.6
actually I do like the car, it's a beautiful car. I just honestly thought it was going to be faster when I drove it. To me it "felt" like a high 13 second car (at best), that may be because it was brand new. I've heard that the computers restrict them until the reach a certain mileage. I haven't driven it since.
I know my car is much lighter and has decent power, gears, suspension, etc. But I would have thought that with the power that car makes it would have seemed closer to my speed, but I IMO it pulled like a stock new edge.
With the link that you posted, click on the link under "car", then click on the "Challenger-STR8 Videos" link and you'll see this. http://www.dragtimes.com/video-viewer.php?v=V9EMsiojNQ8 13.8 @ 103 with the standard tranny, my dads is an auto (that's all they had in '08) which according to them is faster... so who knows
I test drove an 03 New Edge GT, and an 07 Charger SRT8 when I was looking for cars, and how you think they felt the same in power is beyond me. The Charger felt like an absolute beast after driving the new edge. (No offense to the new edge, I think they look better than the S197) I thought the SRT8 felt faster than the S197 GT we test drove as well.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

So really, @ 4k lbs and 425hp (flywheel, 375rwhp... so ok, a little under rated @ the flywheel) these cars should be doing what traps / ETs? With what gears? I'm not seeing what your argument is, maybe other than the fact you just don't like them. Which is fine, but don't go expecting miracle traps / ETs just because it has X amount of HP / TQ... It does take X amount of HP/TQ to move X amount of weight, unless it's powered by fairies, leprechauns and the tears of 2V new edge owners.
That rwhp number has to be high. I hear that no one from the factory has hit over 370rwhp stock(not retuned stock on not number inflating dynos) with most hitting in the 345-360rwhp range. Obviously stock with a retune you can possibly hit the 380's and 390's, but then you are obviously not stock. Hell, with a retune on my car to a better (93) octane and more performance oriented a/f ratio I could easily hit 300rwhp+ on the mach 1. Just pointing out what I've seen(and heard) and what you've said.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:23 PM
willys srt8
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trmachuno
That rwhp number has to be high. I hear that no one from the factory has hit over 370rwhp stock(not retuned stock on not number inflating dynos) with most hitting in the 345-360rwhp range. Obviously stock with a retune you can possibly hit the 380's and 390's, but then you are obviously not stock. Hell, with a retune on my car to a better (93) octane and more performance oriented a/f ratio I could easily hit 300rwhp+ on the mach 1. Just pointing out what I've seen(and heard) and what you've said.
the rwhp stated by subtextel is about right on for these cars. all the ones that go to our dyno days have a base line right about that. with just the intake and exhaust i was at 405hp/410tq @ 170.3mph on a 4th gear pull (our 1:1 gear). when tuned in 3d gear the base was 376hp and tuned to 404hp. both dynos were uncorrected.

Last edited by willys srt8; 09-27-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Deuuuce
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SkillzDatKillz
Thats what I was thinking as well, I don't see a stock Mach 1 pulling on a CSRT8 from a roll, and probably not from a dig.
BEST SIGNATURE EVER!!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Deuuuce
1st Gear Member

Meh, the Chally SRT8s are new and need time to break in and get into the hands of decent drivers. Just give them time, and mods, and good rivers You also drive a low 12 car (@ only 3mph faster than stock SRT8s) so of course its going to seem slow to you, what do you expect a 4k pound car to run out of the show room? 11s?
Actually one has run 111mph stock and quite few on the East Coast and negative DA days 110mph bone stock.

Tuned ones 111mph at Sears Pt., 113-114mph on great days.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Deuuuce
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trmachuno
No, 355 is the low side, many are 365 (mine) to 380 and a few rumored at 385.

Tuned ones hit 400rwhp routinely.

Bottom line an S197 will need full bolt-ons, gears and tune to run with a stocker or perhaps a tuned one. And true, they are awfully heavy, but they are also very big so routine low 13s out of the box is a nice compromise.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 09-29-2008 at 12:23 PM.