SVT Forums

Newbee

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 02:14 PM
RAZRS EDGE

Default Newbee

Hey guys, I'm new to this this Forum as well as fords in general. I have always been a GM guy. Father has owned vettes and mom with her TA's. They are all awesome cars. I'm sure you guys can admit that. Well, here is how I got turned over to the "Dark Side". I got really lucky b/c my G-pa said he would buy me a new car if I could pull off the grades my first year of College(OSU). So I got a 3.5GPA and that pleased him enough. I have been debating on the new GTO and a new Cobra. I liked the GTO b/c it is a really nice car, and a pretty quick one at that(Mach 1 quick). I have always been kinda doubtful about the Stangs b/c I heard they dont hold up real well(the body that is). So that was always the set back for me on getting one. Well, the time is close to getting a car so I went to test drive the boh of them. Needlesss to say the Cobra was un-Fu**in believeable. I was so impressed with it build quality and the POWER. I fell in love at that moment. I know the Cobra is alot different that an ordinary Stang, but thats what I'm getting. I cant wait for Monday! So I can't wait to learn alot about this car b/ I have been working on cars for a couple years(GM) and love doing it. I respect all cars (but not ricers)[:'(] So please bear with me on questions I may be asking about this car. As I said, I'm new to Fords. So all responses and opinions will be appreciated. Sorry this was so long!
Old 06-10-2004, 02:22 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Newbee

wow...im jeolous....what year are you getting? 03 or 04? whatever year, it doenst matter, because its the best mustang ford has ever built. a few basic upgrades, pulley, intake, exhaust, you can see 450rwhp. you made a good call on not picking th gto. the cobra would own the gto.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:33 PM
RAZRS EDGE

Its going to be a new 04'. I was snake bit as soon as i got in it. Yeah about 450rwhp is about the most i'm looking for. I say that then in acouple years its gonna be crazy, haha. No, I really want to keep this thing to great shape and have it reliable with decent gas mileage. It is going to be my daily driver you know. Do these cars hold up really well after you upgrade to that much power? I'm going to do a little drivetrain upgrades to make it stiffer(sub frames, IRS kit to eliminate wheel hop) What are some basic up-keeps with this car that are just a good idea to do, if any?

P.S. i knew th GTO would get its *** handed to it B4 i planned on getting the Cobra, haha. the car just caught my attention for some reason, but not any more!
Old 06-10-2004, 06:10 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

sell your irs, or trade it for a solid 8.8...thats what all the cobra guys do, unless you plan on auto x'ing, the irs is crap. with 450 rwhp hp, expect about 20 mpg. motor should last forever with a good tune
Old 06-10-2004, 06:23 PM
RAZRS EDGE

Where do go about swaping out the IRS for a solid rear? i.e. Company name
Old 06-10-2004, 08:08 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

any mechanic could do it...its easy...im helping my friend swap rears out right now, all you will need is a set of upper and lower control arms to go with the solid axle.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:50 PM
IntruderLS1
2nd Gear Member

He's right, any mech can do it. LOL if you let him drive your car first, he'll probably even knock down the pice a bit. I'm still a GM guy, but I'm dreading my first run-in w/ one of those '04 Cobras. Congrats on the deal of a life-time.