SVT Forums

Clutch/pressure plate for restoration project!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:10 AM
ayoleftyz

Default Clutch/pressure plate for restoration project!

Hey guys, as you probably have figured out I am new to the forums and this is my first post so I will do my best to describe my situation here. First off, back in April of this year my brother passed away at the age of 29. He loved his Mustang's and cherished them with his whole heart. When he passed, he left his '97 Cobra SVT to me. The car is beautiful; he did a lot of work to it under the hood which included countless dollars and hours of sweat. The only problem with it is the clutch/pressure plate is toasted. For some reason he always had problems with the clutch lasting, I'm not sure if it's due to him being kind of hard on it or just bad luck, but he never got around to replacing either as he was concentrating on his body building aspirations and his '67 Mustang GTA which is in mint condition and now in storage.

Anyways, I wanted to ask you guys if you could give me an estimate on how much the new clutch/pressure plate would cost. I have about $5,000 I am investing into the car and will begin my "restoration" project within the next two weeks. I realize I could just call the nearest high performance body shop and get a estimate but I am skeptical as who to trust since I have never done business with any of them. As for my project, I have already purchased the new rims/tires in a package (http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse....ShowLarge=True) and will be taking it in for a new paint job next week. I'm going with black/white racing stripes as that is what he wanted to paint it before he passed. I also want to go with presidential tint and a few other needless expenditures but I think it's worth it in the end. Any help you guys can give me I greatly appreciate it, thanks a lot.

P.S. For some reason the alarm tends to go off when you try to get in the car. I'm not sure if it's just the battery that is dead in the remote or what but you usually have to remove the battery cables and put them back on to get the alarm off. I'm obviously going to have a new alarm system put it but I was just curious as to why it might be doing this.