SVT Forums

More power for a 2001 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:27 PM
honcho_44

Default More power for a 2001 Cobra

Good evening everyone! I'm looking to add more power to my '01 Cobra and I'm looking for suggestions as to what I can do that gives the best bang for the buck. I looked through a couple of pages of posts, but most people seem to ask about the '03 or '04 Cobras.

Anywho, I need some opinions on what I can do to gain some power. I was looking at a new intake, but I can't decide between a JLT or K&N. Also, a new exhaust would be nice, any opinions?

I've heard that the stock engine in the '01 is good until about 500hp, after that you'd need forged internals. Are there any complete turbo kits that would get me up around that level?

Brakes... brakes are good. Anyone go with drilled and slotted rotors, or something of the sort?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm new to modding a car and I really want experienced opinions. Please post any links that you think may be helpful!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:34 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: More power for a 2001 Cobra

i know i dont have a cobra but i hope i helped a bit.

if you had to pick between an intake brand. JLT is what most people on here will tell you and even i have one.

for a Catback Exhaust, its all sound / up to you. troll streetfire/youtube and listen to cars. and if i had a 99/01 cobra i would get an M-55 Catback :] cheap and sounds badass on cobras.
Midpipe: i would go with an X pipe of any brand [Stainless Steel] (O/R if it permits or Catted if you need to pass smog)

turbo kits: if you wanted one, you would have to look into some universal turbo kits like STS , or you could just do what most people do and buy the supercharger kits that are made for mustangs so you dont have to hassle fabbing n such ( most common brands: Prochager[centrifugal] / Vortech[centrifugal] / Kenne Bell[twin screw], etc...)

i believe your motor is rated 450hp to the crank just like every other mustang except the terminator(03/04 Cobra) soo 400rwhp is kind safe with stock internals. and just an FYI, the 99/01 Cobras come w/ forged crank so you would only have to upgrade the pistons / rods.

Brakes : since you already have 13" brakes, and IF you feel the "NEED" to upgrade them so they work better... i would get upgraded pads with like Hawk HPS and some slotted/drilled rotors from power rotors or any other good brand quality rotors.

any more questions? i'd be glad to answer any that i can to the best of my knowledge.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:48 PM
honcho_44

Thanks for the quick response!

I've met a few guys at car shows who have 03 or 04 cobras that have actually removed the supercharger and added a turbo. They all swear that they will NEVER go back to a supercharger again! So I was really hoping for a mustang turbo kit, although if supercharging would be easier/more cost effective, that may be the way to go.

Also, is there a good place to order forged pistons/rods?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:56 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

no problem.

but yeah the 03/04 cobras have the Eaton m112 and those roots charger aren't very efficient (10psi making 380ish on a termie)

i mean im sure you could find a turbo kit for mustangs and such but it would be more expensive and it wont fit properly so fabbing parts / modifying it will be needed and thats extra $$$ since a turbo kit they build for a 99/01 cobra that they put it on, and once they make more kits of "identical" parts, it wont fit as planned. i would talk to those termie owners and ask them what turbo kit they went with.

the reasons the superchargers fit perfectly is because they sell so many and are always seeing things that need to be modified to fit it on every model. being cheaper most people will buy it over a turbo kit and call it a day. i've seen a termie w/ a procharger F1A[centrifugal] making 800rwhp and a twin turbo termie making 800rwhp so its all depends really.

for the forged pistons / rods i would probably look into http://www.manleyperformance.com/ but i would also get more opinions from others.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Ahnial8u
3rd Gear Member

A turbo would make some serious power, but you will be paying right around $6,000 for the turbo Tubular crossmember + fuel system and a good tune. But you will def make awesome power.
What kind of power and your budget is where you need to come to terms first and then decide where you want to go from there.
You can bolt on to mid 12's fairly easy with Long tubes, X pipe, Cat back, Gears and a CAI with some sticky rubber.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:12 PM
redbullitt
2nd Gear Member

Turbos are nice, make sure you can get it tuned well. That is the biggest part. I like my Kenne bell, but gotta respect the turbo, especially when they come in twos.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:03 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jEEd

i know i dont have a cobra but i hope i helped a bit.

if you had to pick between an intake brand. JLT is what most people on here will tell you and even i have one.

for a Catback Exhaust, its all sound / up to you. troll streetfire/youtube and listen to cars. and if i had a 99/01 cobra i would get an M-55 Catback :] cheap and sounds badass on cobras.
Midpipe: i would go with an X pipe of any brand [Stainless Steel] (O/R if it permits or Catted if you need to pass smog)

turbo kits: if you wanted one, you would have to look into some universal turbo kits like STS , or you could just do what most people do and buy the supercharger kits that are made for mustangs so you dont have to hassle fabbing n such ( most common brands: Prochager[centrifugal] / Vortech[centrifugal] / Kenne Bell[twin screw], etc...)

i believe your motor is rated 450hp to the crank just like every other mustang except the terminator(03/04 Cobra) soo 400rwhp is kind safe with stock internals. and just an FYI, the 99/01 Cobras come w/ forged crank so you would only have to upgrade the pistons / rods.

Brakes : since you already have 13" brakes, and IF you feel the "NEED" to upgrade them so they work better... i would get upgraded pads with like Hawk HPS and some slotted/drilled rotors from power rotors or any other good brand quality rotors.

any more questions? i'd be glad to answer any that i can to the best of my knowledge.

whats even cheaper is just to buy the slp 1's and have them welded in. take your cats off.

as far as minor thing's i would say, ported intake, u/d's, cai or even a k&n filter, gears 4.30's w/e, nitrous.

and yes are blocks will hold around 450rwhp. soem people on svtperf. have been running 470+ rwhp some for over a year and still are fien just get a good rune.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:48 PM
StylinM6s
2nd Gear Member

I'd probably keep mine NA. That's just me, I'd go full out on bolt-ons and just be fast keeping it all engine. CAI, TB, Pulleys, CB exhaust, X-pipe, LT headers, gears, P&Pinternals, lighter flywheel,upgrade ignition, and a tune for all that = serious power
Old 11-11-2007, 05:40 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StylinM6s

I'd probably keep mine NA. That's just me, I'd go full out on bolt-ons and just be fast keeping it all engine. CAI, TB, Pulleys, CB exhaust, X-pipe, LT headers, gears, P&Pinternals, lighter flywheel,upgrade ignition, and a tune for all that = serious power
with all that without cams and heads. your looking at around 310rwhp on a 98 cobra.

thats not really serious power[&:]

add cams and heads and what not and you will be around or over 400rwhp, NOW thats serious power
Old 11-12-2007, 04:41 PM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

On a budget, just do a CAI (I've got the JLT), UDP's, Mid-Pipe, Cat-Back, 4:10's or 4:30'sand a custom dyno tune. You should see around 300 RWHP w/ that set up. If you want a little more w/o breaking the bank you can port the manifold, that's good for an extra 10-15 RWHP. Anything else like headers, heads and cams or some sort of forced induction are going to be very expensive. I mean w/ 300 RWHP you can beatA LOT of cars on the street. Of course you'll run into a few guys that will beat you but you can't beat them all anyway...

The drilled and slotted rotors are nice. I've got them as well. Make sure you get zinc-plated ones to prevent rusting.