Old 07-09-2008, 11:13 PM   #11  
Black*Death
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: help! 99-01 cobra owners

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mfj

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Black*Death
Buy and 01 Cobra. The improved heads and 31 spline axlemake it a better buy IMHO than 99. Although i do think the 99 Teksid block is superior. If you have ruled out a Terminator 03-04 then the 01 is the way to go. Don't buy a GT if you have plans for upgrading. I bought a 99 Cobra, but it came supercharged with full aftermarket exhaust, a TKO 600 and aftermarket alminum flywheel. You'll be driving your GT and for a few thousand more you'll say you wish you had a Cobra. The only other thing to do would be to buy a 05 S197 GT but then you'll be in the pricerange of an 03 Cobra. There is no real difference in gas mileage between a new Edge GT and New edge Cobra
its post like these that show whether or not you work on your own cars, lol... as for the 31 spline axle, this is a LIE by ford... even though it is stated that 2001 cobras are supposed to have 31 spline axles, THEY DO NOT! they are the same 28 spline crap that the 99's have, however in 2003, they did FINALLY change them...
I own a 1999 anyway so I have never seen any axles on an 01. Really it isn't 31 so is it 28! Makes me feel a little better. I have worked on my car....changed the oil and plugs. Does that even count? I would love to do more and I will .....just slowly learning about the Cobras
Black*Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #12  
Black*Death
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: help! 99-01 cobra owners

Quote:
ORIGINAL: TorinoCobra070

werent there a few other things in 99 that arent as good as 01? also, if it is true that the gas mileage is about the same, even though the cobra takes higher octane than the gt, i might just go for it since it really doesnt add up to being that much of a difference- assuming the insurance isnt ridiculous. it really just depends what i find first since im buying through my aunt at a dealer auction. this is a tough decision and it shouldnt be haha. well thanks for the help guys, i guess ive got something thinking to do cuz i need a car asap!
Just Google 1999 Cobra and you will see the problems. Flash left in the intake that messed up airflow, restrictive mufflers so only putting out about 305 crank horse instead of 320hp. Fixed with new/repaired intake, computer flash and changed mufflers. My stuff is mostly aftermarket so i don't have those problems. GET a COBRA! I say 2001 if not a Termie!
Black*Death is offline   Reply With Quote