SVT Forums

99 Cobra Convertible HELP??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:30 PM
ZZYZXXXX

Default 99 Cobra Convertible HELP??

Hi Guys,

I pick up the new for me 99 Cobra Convertible on Saturday. I have a few questions...I am looking at lowering the car first. Does anyone have any suggestions of what springs to get? I am leaning towards Steeda right now. Went for a ride in a 92 or so with the same springs and it rides almost like stock. What about the CC plates, do I need them? I will also be adding the light bar to my car shortly. However, I want one without the third brake light. I hate the look of two third brake lights. Can anyone recommend a company who sells them without the light? How do these cars hold up? How strong is the IRS? Thanks for any and all help you can provide me with.

Joe
Old 07-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Black*Death
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 99 Cobra Convertible HELP??

ORIGINAL: ZZYZXXXX

Hi Guys,

I pick up the new for me 99 Cobra Convertible on Saturday. I have a few questions...I am looking at lowering the car first. Does anyone have any suggestions of what springs to get? I am leaning towards Steeda right now. Went for a ride in a 92 or so with the same springs and it rides almost like stock. What about the CC plates, do I need them? I will also be adding the light bar to my car shortly. However, I want one without the third brake light. I hate the look of two third brake lights. Can anyone recommend a company who sells them without the light? How do these cars hold up? How strong is the IRS? Thanks for any and all help you can provide me with.

Joe
Congrats on the car. There are lots of good springs for Cobra's and steeda has a solid name in parts. Most people do recommend CC plates to correct Caster(?) or is it Camber(?)after lowering. I need them for my 99. I think the 26 spline axles in rear but i am unsure of how strong it is under hard launches. Also read up on the 1999 Cobra "missing HP" problem and make sure SVT corrected it. What Color???
Old 07-31-2008, 11:43 PM
ZZYZXXXX

I called SVT and the fix has been done. The car is red with tan top and tan interior. I am not a huge fan of red but I can handle it. I plan on lowering the car next weekend and hopefully the light bar not too long after that. Hopefully, that will end my list of mods. It is basically my weekend car and I have two other cars, so I think I can keep the mods to a minimum...How do you like your 99?
Old 08-01-2008, 06:59 AM
Baef
1st Gear Member

I just lowered my 01 with the Steeda springs, I did not install CC plates. When I got it aligned I was off on camber by -1.5, tech said that it was supposed to be -.5

I may install plates someday, but I do not think that I 'need' them. Since it seems that some people go negative camber for handling anyway.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:03 AM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

I have the Steeda springs as well without CC plates, didn't see the need for them for less then a degree off spec. The thing about the rear is that it isn't weak per se, its that when you get hop is when the problems happen. Springs and good stiff shocks go a long way to controlling hop. Look into diff bushings, a diff brace and the '03-'04 IRS cross-member. Some people break the half-shafts at stock power levels and some people have gone to near 500 whp without problems. Like all things it depends on how hard you beat on it.