SVT Forums

cooling problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 11:48 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

mfj, i fill up the system from both last time i did it with no luck. im going to fill up from only the cross over tube tomorrow. i just got back from a weekend in baja, mex testing out an new atv and my hands are to beaten up to turn a wrench now. thx for all the inputs so far.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:35 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

System should be filled from the Cross-over tube....Had my car out over the weekend...no problems!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:26 AM
jlg32281
2nd Gear Member

Drain it. Leave the tank cap off. Fill from the crossover tube until it gets to the level you want it at in the tank. Put the cap on the tank. Top it off from the tube. Start it and let it run a few minutes with the cap of the crossover tube off and continuously top it off for about 2-3 minutes (preferably parked on an incline).

I also have some other suggestions on cooling that aren't cobra specific. I come from the Supra world where overheating is the number one common issue. I suggest running and do run in all of my vehicles 90% distilled water, 10% anti-freeze, and water wetter (or similar product). Seeing that you live in AZ, you probably don't need any anti-freeze for it's ability to keep you from freezing, but only for the anti-corrosive aditives and lubricants it has, which water wetter also has. You can even run 100% distilled water with two bottles of water wetter and be fine in AZ. Water is the best dissipator of heat, the less anti-freeze you run, the cooler it will run. I have run several vehicles for hundreds of thousands of miles like this without a problem. In fact, it's one of the only ways to get a Supra with an upgraded turbo to run right.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

PCS - problem solved??
Old 03-24-2009, 03:21 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

tim: not yet =(
i filled it up from cross over tube only, ran it for a few mins then topped it off again from the cross over and put the plug back on. i started it and let it idle until it came up to temp with not leaks past the cap. then i shut it off went back to take a look and it started dripping from the relief port on the tank. so im going to try it again after i eat this time setting the car at a slight incline like jlg recommend.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:43 PM
mfj
Banned

Care to share with us, what you are going to eat?
Old 03-24-2009, 03:44 PM
jlg32281
2nd Gear Member

get it as steep as you can. put it on ramps if you have them.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:54 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mfj
Care to share with us, what you are going to eat?
ham and cheese omelet with steak and rice.
ive got jacks under the front right now so going to try this again.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...Never had to put mine on any incline...keep us posted!

....just peeked at mine, everything looks fine! ....your tank is still leaking??
Old 03-24-2009, 05:20 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

tanks not leaking, the gave me a new one the had so extra material weld over the from where mine had cracked and the neck at the bottom was welded now instead of a thread on piece. so i just filled it up again and let it idle for a bit again with no leaks then went around the block with one blast down an empty road with no leaks so far. im happy but i can still smell so radiator fluid which has me paranoid. its prob from the liquid that was spilled earlier though. im going to go for another spin to see what going one. only other problem now is that i put in my old belt, good think i didnt toss it, b/c the new was trashed when the coolant spilled on it and fell off the pullies.

Quick Reply: cooling problems