SVT Forums

Overheating. Thermostat or Intercooler??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:11 PM
SteveInLA

Default Overheating. Thermostat or Intercooler??

Heya.

I have an 04 Cobra. It started overheating the other day while waiting to exit a parking lot. I must've sat there for about a half-hour. Anyway, it started running pretty hot. So, I drove it thinking I could at least turn on the heater to pull some of the heat off the engine (I don't know if this really works.. urban myth?). No heat was flowing through. Strange.

So, first thing I thought was.. it's probably the thermostat. I didn't do much driving and it overheated pretty quick. I had it towed to a Ford dealership who, in their wisdom (and a day and a half of checking), say it's the intercooler in which the SC is sitting. I didn't even know there was an intercooler sitting underneath the supercharger (I verified it after looking at a blown out diagram).

Now, I'm not too savvy when it comes to the coolant system of a supercharged vehicle. I'm not too sure how the supercharger affects the engine's heat or viceversa. I can't seem to get my head around the notion that, because there is a possible leak in the intercooler, it is causing my engine to overheat.

Needless to say, without replacing the intercooler, they can't continue diagnosing the issue. And at $1500, I'm not willing "to see" if that's the problem.

Any hints, tips, suggestions, solutions would be extra, double-plus good and I would so appreciate it; especially if it saves me the $1500. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:50 PM
mfj
Banned

Originally Posted by SteveInLA
Heya.

I have an 04 Cobra. It started overheating the other day while waiting to exit a parking lot. I must've sat there for about a half-hour. Anyway, it started running pretty hot. So, I drove it thinking I could at least turn on the heater to pull some of the heat off the engine (I don't know if this really works.. urban myth?). No heat was flowing through. Strange.

So, first thing I thought was.. it's probably the thermostat. I didn't do much driving and it overheated pretty quick. I had it towed to a Ford dealership who, in their wisdom (and a day and a half of checking), say it's the intercooler in which the SC is sitting. I didn't even know there was an intercooler sitting underneath the supercharger (I verified it after looking at a blown out diagram).

Now, I'm not too savvy when it comes to the coolant system of a supercharged vehicle. I'm not too sure how the supercharger affects the engine's heat or viceversa. I can't seem to get my head around the notion that, because there is a possible leak in the intercooler, it is causing my engine to overheat.

Needless to say, without replacing the intercooler, they can't continue diagnosing the issue. And at $1500, I'm not willing "to see" if that's the problem.

Any hints, tips, suggestions, solutions would be extra, double-plus good and I would so appreciate it; especially if it saves me the $1500. Thanks!
I HIGHLY doubt that that is the issue. My friend ran his car with no intercooler pump (stopped working) for over a month. It will cause the IAT2's to be really hot, but won't really affect the coolant temperature. I think they are suckering you...

You are in CA. Bring your car into a reputable performance shop that knows Cobras. **** DEALERSHIPS!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:41 PM
dirtydave289
3rd Gear Member

my I/C pump wasn't working for a good while and never had an overheating issue.

Did you check the coolant level? Did you try burping the system? My car needed to be burped at one point. Just got hot out of the blue and decided to overheat. Burped and all is well. Might try that. Or feel the heater hoses see if they get warm.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:12 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

I agree, the dealership is going to give you a load of bs to try and make some cash. They would probably just change the thermostat and clean the system, and tell you they changed the 1500 part. Then 3 days later when it still isnt fixed, they will charge you again and claim another problem. Happend to me not long ago when i noticed my rear end leaking, claimed i needed some $700 part... i dont know anything about them so i paid... 3 days later its leeking again and i need a different $250 part.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:28 AM
grrr0331

Was your engine fan come on at all? If not that could be the culpret. You said you were sitting there 4 a lil so there would'nt be any air moving through the rad.