SVT Forums

96 cobra Clutch swap...I have no idea what I'm doing!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

oh wow that sucks i would say no dont reuse it but if you do you need to get it resurfaced atleast...doing that just shortens the life of it...let us know what you find out
Old 09-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Idiot

Well, I work in a machine shop, so I can re-surface the old flywheel for free. And that way I don't have to wait for another flywheel to ship. Car has been up on blocks for 3 WEEKS...so I'm just ready for the b.s. to be over!

Dynamicracing.com---2 weeks to ship! Horrible customer service. AND they can't even ship the correct part!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:58 PM
mfj
Banned

If you reuse it, just make sure to machine the surface that contacts the clutch. You should have no issues reusing your old flywheel. I still have my original flywheel in my car.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Idiot

wow.

This job has been a nightmare.

Stayed up last night got almost everything assembled when I realized that there was a problem with the shift fork.

having NEVER seen a shift fork before I didn't have the experience to know that it was damged until I had it up on the car. I broke the little clip that holds the shift fork onto the pivot ball......AHHHHHHHH....this is after I got the trans into the motor which took hours, being my first time.

So at 2a.m. last night I began removing the trans again, I thought I could drop it out of the car and leave it on my chest and roll out from under the car on my creeper....bad idea. I didn't have enough room and ended up trapped for a good 5 min, trying to get out from underneath my damn trans. I don't know WHY I thought I had room to get out from underneath the car, it wasn't even close. LOL

So I found a trans shop a 30min drive from the house, I was there half an hour after they opened, and I finally got to work on the car about 10am.

I was driving by 5pm. Not a record, by any stretch.

But ****, when I first got underneath my car, I LITERALLY did not know where to look for the starter, I was looking up near the radiator

Hence my screen name!

Anyways, this post is to report that I was able to reassemble everything correctly, the car drives PERFECT and I'm very happy that I did it myself, I feel as tho my car and I "bonded"....

But I will NEVER work on this thing again. I'll just pay you guys.

A HUGE THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO GAVE ME ADVICE IN THIS THREAD!!! i SERIOUSLY WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH THIS WITHOUT YOU GUYS.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:39 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

lmao you tried to roll out with the tranny on your stomach haha...it was a nice thought lol....well good job dude thats how we all learn is by trying and doing and asking questions when needed..enjoy your work man!!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:21 AM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

its very rewarding when you can do it yourself, i just put my trans back on for the 5th time in like 3 months while working on car.I had some of the same problems with the flywheel,they only go on one way and was a pain to try and hold it up straight to line it up,then realize it wasnt the right way ,take it down and do it about 8 times till the last hole i started with was the right one,lol.After a while you remember some tricks,i used 3 jacks to put my tranny back in,and if you lean the motor back a little it makes it easier.Im sure if you need to take it out again you will do it yourself,if you did it twice whats one more time,thats what i tell myself,hopefully this is the last time in a while i need to take mine out.Wait till you try and change your headers,i have an aftermarket k-member and it took me all day,and i mean 8am to 9pm just to get the bolts in and tighten them,oh it was fun
Old 09-09-2010, 12:25 PM
1SVTLVR
2nd Gear Member

Props for replacing it yourself. I just did my first clutch swap recently too and it was definately a PITA. I can't believe you were weary about changing your oil and then did a clutch swap. When I did mine I had a year or two of head/intake/exhaust changing experience on my side so knew not to get too frustrated. Enjoy the Cobra!