V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Cutting off catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 07:56 PM
alexr
★★★★★

Default RE: Cutting off catalytic converter

it will be loud. friend of mine has 40 series flows with O/R h-pipe on his 92 5.0, and its rediculiously loud.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:47 PM
LIstang95

I have true duels on mines. Don't do straight pipes with no mufflers it will sound real bad. Go with x-pipes and remove the cats and use flowmasters. Trust me from one who found out the hard way.

[IMG]local://upfiles/34182/3EA8A14410B74C7881A8D278ED6B2CCB.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-02-2006, 10:12 PM
UZIboy420

well what car do you have?? you running a 2.3L? if you are your gonna have a loud *** car but its gonna sound pretty cool but is gonna be slow. but yeah i think it would sound pretty bad *** dude.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:15 PM
1979ghia
1st Gear Member

cant you just unbolt them? thats what i did on my car....
Old 05-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Verado
3rd Gear Member

Im going through the same thing. 00 Mustang 3.8.
im Thinking about gutting the cats, xpiped, and mac mufflers(i dont like flowmaster, gives it a ricer sound), and long tube headers, i am just afaraid thatit may sound to much of a ricer and lose its tone???? any input..
any the guy who gets pulled over, what yr stang, and why are the cops pulling u over
Old 05-02-2006, 10:50 PM
alexr
★★★★★

ORIGINAL: UZIboy420

well what car do you have?? you running a 2.3L? if you are your gonna have a loud *** car but its gonna sound pretty cool but is gonna be slow. but yeah i think it would sound pretty bad *** dude.
by the look of his username, and what section he posted this in, im gonna assume he's drivin an 03 6er
Old 05-02-2006, 10:53 PM
usfmustang03
1st Gear Member

i post the same question as verado...same deal...i got an 03 v6...i wanted to just do straight pipes from where i cut the cats off though. Do the flowmasters give a ricer sound? I just want it to be loud, kinda want a GT sound out of it cuz im thinkin im gonna mask it like a gt and get gt front and rear bumpers and emblems...soooo i want the deepest sound i can possibly get out of a 6cyl.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:53 PM
JoJo96Vert
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Verado

im Thinking about gutting the cats, xpiped, and mac mufflers(i dont like flowmaster, gives it a ricer sound), and long tube headers, i am just afaraid thatit may sound to much of a ricer and lose its tone???? any input..
any the guy who gets pulled over, what yr stang, and why are the cops pulling u over
My suggestion is that if you think the flowmasters make it sound ricey, dont get MAC mufflers. Go with something else like magnaflows or something like that. Macs tend to sound pretty ricey depending on the set up. And I think the guy was sayin he gets pulled over for having too loud of an exhaust, because I know a few people that have problems with that quite a bit.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:56 PM
JoJo96Vert
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: usfmustang03

i post the same question as verado...same deal...i got an 03 v6...i wanted to just do straight pipes from where i cut the cats off though. Do the flowmasters give a ricer sound? I just want it to be loud, kinda want a GT sound out of it cuz im thinkin im gonna mask it like a gt and get gt front and rear bumpers and emblems...soooo i want the deepest sound i can possibly get out of a 6cyl.
Didnt mean to double post like this, but I just saw this as I posted mine. My advice, you dont have a GT, dont pretend you do. Either save the money and get one or just be proud of what you have.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Lancerzor
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Verado

WHAT FLOWMASTERs dont give ricer sound! especially the 40 series!
If I were you i'd go with the HIgh flow cats (if you can afford) and dumps right after the flowmasters at a 45 degree angle to the side!
I am personally gonna go with a (if i can afford the high flow cats) and doing true duel exhaust with flowmaster super 40s with dumps 45 degree to the side gonna get it install this weekend on my V6er

Quick Reply: Cutting off catalytic converter