V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

v6 top speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:25 AM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

Default RE: v6 top speed

ORIGINAL: Quiz

I have a 2004 v6 5 speed and i went 110mph on 4th gear redline means i hit 5th gear only gives me 8 more mph?

i have a 3.9l

everythings stock ...
No this just means that your governor cuts you off after you hit 118. If you were to take the governor off you could go faster. Not much faster and you would be creeping to get any faster but you could still top out higher.

I think that the governor is set a little higher than 112 on a 94-98. I have hit 115 in mine when I first got the car and it was completely stock.

Props to me! I finally used the quote feature and it worked. lol I still have yet to post a picture correctly... lmao
Old 01-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Zach3.8L
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SilvrStang

ORIGINAL: Zach3.8L

ORIGINAL: SilvrStang

No V6 doesnt feel solid at 100 mph. What the **** are u on. Stock suspension is crap on these cars
+1

That's why I put in the Eibach Pro kit, a BBK strut tower support bar, a rear swaybar, with the rear end out of a GT,and the front swaybar off of a GT, which is bigger than the stock one on the V6 models. I plan to do a lot more suspension work in the future...but supercharger installation comes first!
I got a GT rear swaybar siting in my garage gota install it haha hate fishtailing with the 4.10s lol. But eibach pro kit FTMFW! And with 4.10s you can top them out at 130 but who will ever wana go that ****ing fast?
I'd look into a strut tower support bar as well...that made a huge difference. The 8.8 diff also helped. I got one of the rare ones though. It came with the 3.27 gears in it...most of those came with a 3.08 ratio, right?

Actually, it's pretty funny though...I beat a honda civic on the street. He pulls into the parking lot I went into and says, "Man! That's bullsh-- man! You think it's funny? Let's run down the back of Sand Canyon! I'll own you! blah blah blah blah!"

I ask him: What kind of suspension you got?

He says: The stock SI suspension kit! It's way better than yours!

I say: Oh? Really...you really think so?

He says: Yeah! Why? What'chu got?

I tell him: Eibach prokit lowering springs, upgraded front sway bar, rear sway bar, upgraded rear diff with a T-Lock setup, and a strut tower support bar.

I popped the hood just to prove it and he says: F*ck you man! F*ck you!
and went away looking like he was going to cry because a Mustang, an American car that isn't a rice rocket has a better suspension setup that a wannabe ricer's Honda Civic EX with an SI sticker on it and the shocks that are made for the SI.

That event made my day.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 PM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

What year did you get the rear-end out of? The new edge style came with 3.27s and the SN95's came with 2.73's. These were the gear ratios for the V6 and GT not sure what the Cobra's had.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Zach3.8L
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: indisposible_teens

What year did you get the rear-end out of? The new edge style came with 3.27s and the SN95's came with 2.73's. These were the gear ratios for the V6 and GT not sure what the Cobra's had.
Got it off of the 5.0 cobra from 1998. I also got the speed gauge cluster from the same car...it was in a front end collision...sad to see, but hey...what can I say? I got some good parts at a cheap price because some kid was a moron. Also where I pulled the front and rear swaybars from. The front sway bar was pretty much the only thing in the front that was removable that wasn't tweaked or destroyed...
Old 01-24-2008, 12:58 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Ya, and the 4.5L uses these massive SVOheads.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:59 PM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

If I am not mistaken the 98 Cobra's came with 3.27s. At least you got some sweet parts off of it. I have found a total of two Mustangs around me that are wrecked. One of them is a 96 V6 and the other is a 95 GT. I don't have a whole lot of selection. lol

Are you going to swap in some lower gears?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Mustang_guy17
2nd Gear Member

My car doesn't feel floaty at 100mph.. Just like really tight, the wind does push it around alot tho. I have only brought it over 100mph one time.. I will not do it again.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Zach3.8L

ORIGINAL: mstang420

on a somewhat different note..
what do you think the top speed would be on 4:10s?
Not good, man. With the 4.10 ratio, you'll be whining like a motherfu--er all the way. 4.10 gears are good for drag racing. Not for canyon running or freeway speed battles.
4.10s will still drag limit you to about 135 mph

depending on traffic areas and roads, you really shouldnt be above 80 on the highway, but there are some times (I84 or 495 for us new englanders) where you can be doing 95 in the slow lane getting tail gated by a semi truck, [8D]
Old 01-24-2008, 03:45 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

ORIGINAL: NeoTokyo

Ya, and the 4.5L uses these massive SVOheads.

Hmm..............looks like a miniature X-303 GT-40 head lol.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:58 PM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang_guy17

My car doesn't feel floaty at 100mph.. Just like really tight, the wind does push it around alot tho. I have only brought it over 100mph one time.. I will not do it again.
Ride in a car that has half way decent handling and tell me your car doesn't feel floaty. I have yet to ride in a V6 that has mostly stock suspension that doesn't start to feel floaty. They don't have good enough suspension or tires stock for them to feel firm or tight at high speeds or taking corners hard.

Quick Reply: v6 top speed