V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

v8 or not

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:39 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

CFM is the cubic feet per minute that the motor can move. Engines are big air pumps. The more you open them up, the more power you make. It's not about how many cylinders you have. With ported intakes and heads, you can move more air. A better cam allows longer windows for air to come in and out through your valves. Free flowing exhaust helps evacuate the air from the motor. A supercharger or turbo charger helps by compressing air and forcing in more.

If you have a V6 that can out flow the V8 in CFM, it will be the stronger motor. Right now, we've seen V6 popping up all over that are showing better airflow characteristics than modded 32V Cobras. (V8 boys just don't like to accept that FACT.)
Old 08-29-2009, 08:48 PM
2500gmc

I will supercharger or turbo the v6 later in the year when i get the money. I start looking what i need to fix the front. Thank you for the help
Old 08-30-2009, 12:57 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

So you're sayin that more power can be made out of a v6 than a 32 v V8?? Thats crazy, hell i'm a V8 guy but i'll believe you anyday Matt.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
CFM is the cubic feet per minute that the motor can move. Engines are big air pumps. The more you open them up, the more power you make. It's not about how many cylinders you have. With ported intakes and heads, you can move more air. A better cam allows longer windows for air to come in and out through your valves. Free flowing exhaust helps evacuate the air from the motor. A supercharger or turbo charger helps by compressing air and forcing in more.

If you have a V6 that can out flow the V8 in CFM, it will be the stronger motor. Right now, we've seen V6 popping up all over that are showing better airflow characteristics than modded 32V Cobras. (V8 boys just don't like to accept that FACT.)
The V6 would have to insanely outflow the V8. Displacement is a big part too, and the V8 is going to have the advantage any way you look at it. Just because the V6's are outflowing 32v 4.6's doesn't mean that it will make more power. The 4.6 is still moving more air with the advantage of having 2 cylinders. I can see if you took a 4.6 design and made a 6 cylinder version of it, then your point would make sense.

The whole "V6's are the best motor in the world" attitude get really annoying after a while. If V6's were so much better they would be used in NASCARS, top fuel dragsters, etc... You make it seem like anything with 8 cylinders is worthless. Yeah, you can make big power out of a V6, but how many people have actually done it? Two or three? Everytime the arguement comes up Matt from Delk or Justin with his 400something HP stock shortblock car are brought up. OK, great, they did something good with a V6, but stop acting like it's the greatest platform on the face of the earth. If it were you'd have more than two or three people making big power with it.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:29 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Show me where I have ever even come close to saying they are "the best motor in the world" or where I said the V6 will make more power than a 32V V8. Don't twist my words... which is something V8 guys love to do. Far more than 2 or 3 make big power with them. Just because they aren't posting about it on the internet doesn't mean they aren't out there. I used to hang out with five of them making 500 in Texas, none of whom post on forums.

I like to rattle V8 cages... and I do that very well. They don't expect a V6 owner to understand tech. They also don't expect V6 cars to take to modding like they do. The V6 is a far overlooked option - that's all I'm sayin'. No need to swap it out if you already have one, just build what you have.

Don't forget of that I've had 8 Mustangs, and 7 of them were V8s. How many V6 bashers have owned V6 Mustangs? How many of those who poke fun even know about modding a sixer?

Last edited by LilRoush; 08-30-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

Round one: Matt...round two TBA
Old 08-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

It's the vibe you give off. Obviously you've never said "V6's are the best motor in the world" verbatim, but whenever the comparison comes up you put off that vibe.

You saying you like to rattle V8 cages proves that. You seem to have a cocky attitude about your V6. I've seen a few arguements when you wandered into the 4.6 section where you basically said your V6 could take most of the V8's there. Which would have been OK, but the guys you were arguing were in the low 10's with 600+rwhp.

I've owned a V6. I'm not bashing on them, anything can be made fast. But as far as the V8 guys expecting the V6 owners to not know any tech, you'd be a liar to tell me that the general concensus of this forum knows what they're talking about.

And finally, there may be more guys with fast V6's. But for every one of them, there's probably 50 with a fast V8. It makes more sense. The aftermarket support is there. You can't argue that the 5.0 or 4.6 or windsor based motors have an aftermarket that blows the 3.8's out of the water. There's more directions to go without having to basically do custom that nobody else has done before. Now that's great for someone who's good at custom fabbing stuff, and really knows what they're doing, and can piece things together. But the average person is just going to want to buy a kit of something and be done.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:23 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Yeah, I step into the V8 section when I get sick of them calling me out. I have yet to have anyone of those smack talkers actually meet me to prove me wrong. I've gone as far as to meet halfway across the country and offer to pay for track rental for them to prove me wrong. NOT ONE OF THEM WOULD STEP UP. So 600 hp V8 or not, they aren't willing to back up their mouths. We all know the real crap talkers of the V8 world are usually guys who think they own the worlds fastest Mustang with nothing more than loud exhaust and a TB.
I only speak up when they start crap. The one thread I did start in the 4.6L section was only AFTER they came in here and talked smack about me.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:35 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

....and my chevys aftermarket will **** a 4.6's aftermarket like a ***** in the football frat house.

shall we have a 3.8 v v8 shootout? Im sure some of the buick boys would have fun
Old 08-31-2009, 08:19 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

can you noobs please stop scaring away the people that actually want help? if i had a dollar for every v6 vs v8 argument ive seen on here id never have to work a day in my life

buy an LS1 if you want something fast

Last edited by mustangman02232; 08-31-2009 at 08:24 PM.