V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

1995 3.8L - Power Window problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:05 PM
robmaxfli

Default 1995 3.8L - Power Window problem

Problem : Pass. side window will not function if the pass. side power window switch is used. Pass. side window works fine if the drivers side switch is used. Replaced switch on pass. side - no change. If using the drivers side switch to operate the pass. window AND THEN someone presses the pass side switch , the window will pause moving - until the pass side switch is released. So this tells me that the switch on the pass side is at least doing something.
Any ideas?

On a side note i have not been able to locate a power window circuit diagram online or at the library books.

thanks!
Old 08-03-2011, 03:12 AM
FCMustang

That's pretty weird sounding. Maybe the lock button is stuck on the drivers side? Also, switches can be pretty iffy, maybe you should do some tests on yours to make sure when you press the button that it completes the circuit.

I've heard of this problem before and the problem usually ends up being with the switch.

Last edited by FCMustang; 08-03-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Power for the passenger window goes through the drivers side switch. Sounds weird, but its true. Moving the passenger switch will break the control connection for the drivers door switch to the passenger window motor. You probably have a break in the wire going from the drivers door switch to the passenger door switch. Most common location is in the little rubber accordion tube thing going from the door to the car body.

You might want to check ebay or your dealer for the electrical trouble shooting manual for your ride. I have the one for my girly's ride and it has saved me quite a few times.

good luck...
Old 08-04-2011, 01:15 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I'm bored and in a mood to problem solve... so I whipped out the elec diag for my girly's ride. After examining the diagram, the problem you are having is pretty straight forward. The circuit and wire colors are different if you have a coupe vs a convertible.

If you have a coupe:
check the light blue & black wire (if you have remote keyless entry) or the pink wire (if you don't have remote keyless entry) going into the passenger door switch. It should have 12V of power when the car is on. This wire gets power straight from the power distribution panel (20A Circuit Breaker #14, not a fuse) via a light blue & black wire going into the power distribution panel. If it doesn't have power, you have a break in the wire somewhere between the pass switch and the power distribution panel, resulting in the pass switch will not work as you described.

If you have a convertible:
check the light blue & black wire (if you have remote keyless entry) or the pink wire (if you don't have remote keyless entry) going into the passenger door switch. It should have 12V of power when the car is on and the window lock switch in the drivers door switch is in the "unlock" position. If you don't have power, check if you have power at the Pink wire (if you have remote keyless entry) or the Red & Light Blue wire (if you don't have remote keyless entry) coming out of the drivers door switch. If you do, then you have a break between that wire and the wire on the passenger door switch. If you don't, then the drivers door switch is bad and should be replaced or repaired (if your handy with a soldering iron and multi-meter).

Hope this helps...

Last edited by petrock; 08-04-2011 at 01:20 AM.