V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Broken left axle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:04 AM
mo3nzo

Default Broken left axle?

So I was in a hurry yesterday morning while I was working on the car. I had a jack stand under the left rear axle and the jack under the front (right/left - can't remember) frame. While I was lifting the car with the jack I heard a clunk sound, but didn't notice anything.

After I put the car down on four wheels, I noticed the left rear quarter panel was closer to the tire by at least an inch compared to the right rear quarter panel.

I was thinking, did I knock out the left axle loose from the differential?

Thank you for the help!

Ps. I can't test drive the car because some idiot mechanic who worked on the car with the last owner forced an oversized bleeder screw into the rear left brake cylinder - and I ended up ruining half the screw thread when I tried to do a fluid flush yesterday - it won't go back in now.

Last edited by mo3nzo; 06-23-2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 06-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Frantz
2nd Gear Member

you may or may not have had the car supported on opposite corners, that's not a good idea. Take some measurements under the car and see where the change stops. I don't think you shifted your axle from jacking unless it was already loose (nor would that be called a broken axle). It does sound like you might have a car out of rear alignment. A loud clunk when jacking might just have been something the jack was snagged on gave way, please be careful with jacks, it seems there may be a few careless mistakes made here. You could test drive slowly with emergency brake too!

Old 06-23-2012, 01:54 PM
mo3nzo

Originally Posted by Frantz
you may or may not have had the car supported on opposite corners, that's not a good idea. Take some measurements under the car and see where the change stops. I don't think you shifted your axle from jacking unless it was already loose (nor would that be called a broken axle). It does sound like you might have a car out of rear alignment. A loud clunk when jacking might just have been something the jack was snagged on gave way, please be careful with jacks, it seems there may be a few careless mistakes made here. You could test drive slowly with emergency brake too!

I agree I was being careless - was in a big rush haha.

But can you explain what you mean by measurements? Do you mean to check if one rear wheel is closer to the front of the car than the other? And how do I test drive it?
Old 06-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Frantz
2nd Gear Member

I feel ya! But it's embarrassing to be killed by your love, leave that to your wife or girlfriend! The chart (I stole from circle track) is just a general idea of how to measure the rear alignment. Basically you need to figure out where its messed up at. You don't wanna drop the axle from the springs if thats not where the alignment is off. Heck, the car could have been hit causing the change in gap. As for the test drive... only half your hydraulic brakes should be offline from a unbleed system, and the e-brake doesn't use the hydraulic system at all! It's not safe for regular driving, but it would be fine in your neighborhood if you keep in consideration the limited brakes. It's safer than not jacking your car up right ;-)
Old 06-23-2012, 04:08 PM
mo3nzo

Originally Posted by Frantz
I feel ya! But it's embarrassing to be killed by your love, leave that to your wife or girlfriend! The chart (I stole from circle track) is just a general idea of how to measure the rear alignment. Basically you need to figure out where its messed up at. You don't wanna drop the axle from the springs if thats not where the alignment is off. Heck, the car could have been hit causing the change in gap. As for the test drive... only half your hydraulic brakes should be offline from a unbleed system, and the e-brake doesn't use the hydraulic system at all! It's not safe for regular driving, but it would be fine in your neighborhood if you keep in consideration the limited brakes. It's safer than not jacking your car up right ;-)
Haha yes that would be quite a shame! And I get what you mean then, so just gotta see which measurements are uneven. So you mean the front end alignment is off then? And ahaha yes I know I meant to say what signs should I look for when I'm test driving it :P
Old 06-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Frantz
2nd Gear Member

No, I'm not saying to check the front end (for this issue). Here is how I see it. All we know right now is there is a 1" difference in tire clearance between one side and the other. Heck, it could be the folks before you put different sized tires on! If you haven't drove the car you might not have noticed. The axle is attached by a 4 link design, so the only real way to get out of alignment on a stock car is to bend something so far as I know. Regardless, you need to identify why that 1" gap is there, but I doubt its from jacking the car up as you did.
Nothing really to check for in the test drive, I just made the comment as you suggested you weren't able to do so.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:13 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

It's possible, but not probable, that you popped the right spring out of it's perch. A control arm may be in a bind as well
Old 08-16-2012, 01:17 AM
mo3nzo

LOL sorry for the delay - but guess what was wrong with the car.

I had a 75 pound jack + 2 15lb jack stands and a 25 lb toolbox all at the left corner of the trunk.

Took it out and car was straight again *facepalm*
Old 08-16-2012, 01:23 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

hahaha thats a funny ending to all of this. seriously though, if there is one thing you should take your time with when working on a car is making sure it is supported on jack stands properly. a guy i know has told me that 2 people he knew died from that
Old 08-16-2012, 03:27 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

My dad was working under a car when he was my age, the car fell and crushed his collar bone, like it was sticking out of his shoulder, he finished the car and drove it to the hospital. He used to bring that story a LOT when I first started working on cars to make sure I had a healthy fear to remember proper lifting and supporting of a car, he's got this jagged scar that looks pretty b-a as well lmao.