V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

4/10/11 First time at the drag strip with the 01' -=- DriverMod XL has Started!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:59 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Not sure, I will have another go at it on the 14th.

April is going to be racing the 96' too, the 15th is her B-Day and she wanted to race her car, hurt or not.

You might remember my little problem with Prestone and their 50/50 mix slushing up on me one night after work causing a gasket to leak and a slight knock.

I have an exhaust gas tester to be sure if its a head gasket or not, if its not then the lower gaskets and timing chain cover gaskets are getting replaced before the race.

If she does have a seeping head gasket then we are going to race it as it is, she has another motor in line in case it dies.

Its still really strong though even after going through that.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:25 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Good news for April.

The Blue dye never turned yellow in the Head gasket test.

This means that she doesnt have a blown or seeping head gasket and no cracks in the block from the freezing.

What this does mean is that the lower intake gaskets are leaking or the front timing cover gasket (There is coolant that leaked out onto the top of the cover.)

I listened closer and I could not hear the knock I thought I heard when this first happened.

So while the engine needs a little freshening, its not as bad as I had thought.

The Prestone slush just blew the weaker gaskets.

I never really messed with the motor before because we were just going to do a Cobra swap, but since she sold the Cobra and bought the Passat I figured I may as well look deeper into it.

The only bad thing is I wont get my ported heads and intakes back for my 01'.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:12 AM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

yeah i remember the anitfreeze slushing up on ya

so it aprils car going to be part of drivermod XL too? might not be a bad idea since youll have a v6 and v8 to be working on to broaden your viewer interest
Old 05-08-2011, 06:25 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

He car isnt really going to be part of it but it will show up from time to time.

We didnt do the Cobra swap on her 96' because we decided to buy the Passat, so we sold the Cobra and bought the Passat.

Her 96' is a 00' splitport swap (Complete engine.)
The mods on it are:

00' complete Splitport engine swap
PP'ed Heads (Massive D port exhaust, port matched intake side)
PP'ed Lower Intake (Massivly large, I worked for HOURS on those things to port all the way through.)
PP'ed Upper intake (Standard PP, planned on going Windstar anyways.)
BBK CAI (Went back to stock for the time being)
Short Headers (Stock from the 96' but much better than the 00' logs)
BBK O/R X-Pipe (94/95 GT X-Pipe modified to fit the Sixxers headers)
Borla SS Mufflers Dumped.
VMP Tuned via SCT XCalII (Really rich but it has worked great for years. :P)

The car makes about 225-235bhp and REALLY needs gears and a few other supporting mods. :P

Its also always needed a clutch since we did the swap but we didnt have enough for a new one so we used the stock one and now it slips so badly! She wants to go Spec even though I have had bad exp with them.

Mods going on this week before she runs on the 14th:

Front Suspension:
Brand new Mach 1 steering rack that came with my Mach 1 engine.
Center Offset Poly Rack bushings
Maximum Motorsports Tapered Bump Steer Kit
Maximum Motorsports CC Plates
H&R Blue Race Springs
Tokico Illumina Struts
Saleen S351 35mm Front swaybar with Poly bushings and brand new OEM End Links with Energy Suspension bushings (I dont like the bar and tube aftermarket stud.)
03/04 Cobra Spindles
03/04 Cobra A-Arms
Steeda offset A-Arm bushings
Steeda X2 Ball joints

Rear Suspension:
2001 GT 8.8" Swap w/ stock 3.27 gears from a parts car that we are buying, its not set in stone yet but for $500 its a good price even wrecked on one side and no engine/trans. The guy is up by Rolla so we are working out a pickup time.

98' Cobra Coupe Springs, dead coil cut. We havnt tried these yet but she wants a good rake on the car.

Yeah yeah, I know she has a TON more for suspension right now than I have for my 01' but she has been gathering the parts for years and sitting on them till each end was complete.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:35 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Oh I forgot to say, she did get her complete interior out of the 01' Cobra before we sold it. So everything inside is Charcoal now.

She traded the Cobra seats for a set of 03/04 Mach 1 seats and rear shocks.

The shocks are going on the car instead of the GT Shocks.

She is going for her version of what a Mach 1 would have looked like in 96' so she completed the interior, she has 03/04 Mach 1 wheels, she went with a Cobra front bumper and a Cobra rear spoiler and shaved 94/95 style rear decklid.

She also has a Cervinis Stalker Hood on it. Its pretty nice too, looks very close to the NASA hood on her 71'.

I also forgot to mention that she already has a strut tower brace from that 97' Cobra we had and K-Member brace (Crazy improvement!)
Old 05-15-2011, 10:48 AM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

thats a cool idea to make a version of the mach 1 in the sn95s, i like the interior of the machs better than the cobras anyways.

you definitely have a lot of work ahead of you
Old 05-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

Have fun at the autocross buddy, don't get discouraged and just enjoy/learn! And get ready for some bodyroll!! Ahh, takes me back! (wipes tear away from eye)