Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Trunk seal problem and brake squeal

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 12:51 PM
KiLLeR_WoMBaT
1st Gear Member

Default Trunk seal problem and brake squeal

I know some have experienced the trunk on these not opening like it did at the dealer. My convertible's trunk will not open without pushing down on it first or pull REAL hard up on the edge. It unlatches...just doesn't "pop" up like it used to.

So, some have taken it in and the dealer told them the seal needed to be lubed. What do you think they lube a rubber seal with? I'd just like to do it myself instead of letting the service department jack it up.

Now on the brake squeal...there is a TSB on this one where they need to replace the linings. So here's my question on this: Is there a certain mileage where it ends up being "fair wear and tear" and not a "new" car problem? I have over 9500 miles on the car. I don't think the brake pads should be going bad yet; but this A-hole service department will probably say otherwise. And my final ??? Aren't what the dealer is calling "brake linings" and what I am calling "brake pads" the same thing? Plus, I painted the calipers and I wonder if they will balk at that as a cause. I did not get paint on the pads, and even if there was some it would be on the back of the pad, not the stopping surface. Right?

KiLLeR_WoMBaT
Old 03-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Trunk seal problem and brake squeal

My trunk does the same thing. I just deal with it. I wouldn't go to the dealer for it. I don't know if something like WD40 would help or not.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:13 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Trunk seal problem and brake squeal

I just had the TSB done for the brakes and when I brought it in I was a at a little over 10,000 miles. Just tell them about it and make sure you mention the TSB # and they should take car of it. The # is 05-18-10. Brakes last longer than 10,000 miles especially with a manual.

As of the trunk I've never had a problem with it popping open yet.