Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

someone please explain

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 02:18 AM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

Default RE: someone please explain

chrisc
hmm....i need to go look for that thread you posted a week or two ago

it was called something like "am i post *****?" =P i am just messing
I can't help it, i was in school and had nothing else better to do.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:05 AM
Harry_F
3rd Gear Member

basically just read every post on these forums for a couple of weeks and you will know 10x as much as you know now.

only 16 and pretty knowledgeable.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:05 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

iv' heard of some guys that run PVC or rubber tubing to the lower grille and attached either end to the CAI and the TB and got a couple extra ponies
Old 04-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LesteR723

iv' heard of some guys that run PVC or rubber tubing to the lower grille and attached either end to the CAI and the TB and got a couple extra ponies
Yes, quite right. This is bacause most "cold air intakes" are really drawing air from under the hood and it is really not "cold" air! The cooler the intake air the more HP you pick up. Actually what you describe is a very old hot rodding trick that goes back at least to the 50's when quad headlights were popular. Hot rodders would remove one set of headlights and duct air straight to the snorkels on the air cleaner. As you say it's only good for a few HP, but every little bit counts

==The point of S/C's and T/C is to compress air and cram as much of it into the engine as possible==

Superchargers do indeed compress air and force it into the intake, but the real goal is increased compression in the cylinders. A typical supercharged motor runs in the neighborhood of 8:1 or 9:1 compression while a normally aspirated high performance motor runs 11:1 or higher. But with increased compression comes the need for higher octane fuel, plus the higher compression puts more strain on the internals and valve train. Everything is a trade-off! This is why you don't see much more than 8 pounds of boost on a stock motor, any more than that pushes the compression up too high for pump gas. Of course there are always exceptions, intercoolers allow the use of more boost because they cool and compress the mixture before it enters the combustion chamber which brings the compression ratio back down slightly.

==Not bad for a 17 year gear head and i never took a mechanics class although i want too. ==

Yeah, I remember being 17 and thinking I knew everything about cars too Well I've now been a gearhead for about 34 years and let me tell you, you don't know what you don't know. The more you learn, the more you realize how much you don't know. It's the same for everything in life really, just ask anyone who's been married 15+ years how much they know about women
Old 04-23-2006, 05:53 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

==Yeah, I remember being 17 and thinking I knew everything about cars too Well I've now been a gearhead for about 34 years and let me tell you, you don't know what you don't know. The more you learn, the more you realize how much you don't know. It's the same for everything in life really, just ask anyone who's been married 15+ years how much they know about women ==

im behind yopu 100% on that.. 18 here , ill be 19 next month.. since i started trade school for my apprenticship i never knew how much i didnt know.. and i thought i knew a lot before school.. i cant wait to get back out on the bench!
Old 04-23-2006, 07:21 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

hey to quote the "honda v-tech song" by mcnasy....

"Let me tell youalittlebit aboutmy honda...its got like six, seven hundred horsepower"
"i got a custom cold air intake made from pvc pipe, home depot grille made from gutter guard, chrome exhaust tip with builtin LED lights.