Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Thinking of starting a V6 Mustang Store

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Goliath
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking of starting a V6 Mustang Store

I would recommend that you have the business acumen to make this a profitable venture before all else! Once that is covered. V6mustangperformance.com is nice, or if you're just catering to new mustangs maybe 40performance.com

SIXCYLINDERSOFFURY.com

YOu can thank me for that awesome one later.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:20 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

I really like the website name that you want....shop web designers...there are TONS of them, and frankly overseas, may make it difficult to manipulate...keep it simple and yet cheap, provide great costumer service and you will have a thriving business in no time!
good luck, keep us posted!
ORIGINAL: Justin_R

I need your opinion on this, the guy that does www.Crossroadzdirect.com is saying he can make me a website for a pretty good price but hes located in india, this is his website www.satisnet.com amd hes really into customer satisfaction so I know he would do a good job, Im just worried cause hes in india I mean I could barely understand what he was saying. LOL, I know that was mean. Do you think I should give him a shot? [sm=helpout.gif]
Old 05-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Thanks for all your support guys will definetely keep you updated!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:42 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Do you know how to do any web programming at all? If so, you can actually get a catalog up pretty easily. One good software package is Miva Merchant.

http://www.miva.com

You can find web host companies that will install the Miva Merchant software for you, and then you can add products yourself, by simply filling out on-line forms using your browser. Many web companies won't tell you about software like this because they want you to have to come back to them for all updates/additions. You can rent a virtual server with Miva on it for as little as $40/month. Then, you could either do the non online store pages yourself, or get a web company to do just that part for you. You have to make sure you can control your catalog, updates, prices, stock, inventory, etc.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:30 AM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Goliath

I would recommend that you have the business acumen to make this a profitable venture before all else!

This is an important point. I started an ebay business a few years ago (selling old baseball cards) and even in that pre-existing structure it turned out to be a lot more involved than I had imagined. Things you need to think about:

Part 1: Business Model
- what is your target market (I think just focusing on the V6 'stangs COULD work, but you will need to build a solid repeat customer base if you won't be catering to any GT or Cobra owners)

- what are your selling points compared to existing competitors (better prices? broader selection? faster shipping? 24-hour customer service hotline? etc, etc. remember that you will need to be BETTER than everybody else, especially as a new venture)

- what are your goals (full-time job? part-time? way to make a few bucks on the weekend? to do this right will require a huge time commitment, especially in the beginning as you set up a network of contacts and sources)

Part 2: Inventory
- what products are you going to carry (just the basics? focus on performance? appearance? everything under the sun for the V6?)

- where are you going to obtain them (direct from the manufacturer? how will you establish that relationship? if you're going to have to buy from other web sites, how will you turn a profit while still offering attractive prices?)

- where are you going to store everything (this might be a bigger issue than you think! if you're planning on maintaining an inventory of car parts, you will need a BIG garage or even a warehouse. you also need to be prepared to spend a lot of money at the outset in order to have items in stock even before you make a single sale)

- how much of an inventory will you keep on hand (if I place an order with a company, I expect them to have the part and ship it within a couple days. if you are not prepared to do this, you will lose sales -- especially if you don't tell the customer that the item is not available immediately)

Part 3. Sales Structure
- will you sell directly on the web site? With all the necessary order, payment, and shipping forms? Or will customers have to call in orders (you will lose business if that's the case). Will you be set up to accept credit cards? Paypal? Mailed checks/money orders?

- how long will be your turnaround time on orders? can you (or someone) be available every weekday? every day? 24/7?

- how will you handle shipping? be consistent! let your customers know how long it will take. develop a relationship with UPS, FedEx, USPS, DHL, whatever -- just establish an ongoing connection so they know to value your business.

Part 4. Profits (hopefully) and Assessment
- how much money are you willing to put into this thing? how long can you wait to see a return on your investment? are there other responsibilities that will take up your time and/or money? will your overhead costs (don't forget labor costs if you need employees) be low enough that you can still turn a profit? do you have the financial flexibility to deal with unforeseen expenses as they arise? can you set a budget for yourself and ADMIT DEFEAT if your business is doing nothing but hemmorhaging cash?

That's all I can think of for now. I'm not trying to patronize you; I'm sure you realize this is a big deal. I just don't want to see you blow a few grand on a web site and some car parts only to give up when you realize just how much of a commitment this would be.

Good luck! I personally would LOVE to see an online performance shop dedicated to V6 stangs (especially the '05+ models). A large selection is important, and quick shipping is too, but -- for me at least -- low prices and reliability are the deciding factors in where to purchase.

Always knew that Econ degree would come in handy,
Tim
Old 05-12-2006, 02:12 AM
Harry_F
3rd Gear Member

ADVERTISE ON GOOGLE this will probably increase your sales by a noticeable percentage. not every mustang modder out there reads forums so you cant expect word of mouth to do all your advertising. but i will definately support your business, and dont u live in FL i would be more than happy to test any new products??? example supercharger!!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:23 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

no no no lol if you're going to test any products it needs to be in a wide open place with no people...Like here in kansas LOL Ok that may be pushing my luck a little
ORIGINAL: Harry_F

ADVERTISE ON GOOGLE , and dont u live in FL i would be more than happy to test any new products??? example supercharger!!!!