Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Convince Me

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:00 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Convince Me

ORIGINAL: flapjack

Screw the turbo vs SC debate. They all have their place in our world.

You can't deny the noticeability of a supercharger like the ProCharger or the Vortech. I've had so many compliments, it's not even funny. Not to mention the fact that you can stay out of boost (to conserve gas) pretty easily with the ProCharger or Vortech.

...but the turbo, there is no denying it's in a league of it's own, both price and power-wise. If it's the sound you think is ricey, keep in mind... at least the ProCharger has a surge valve which has a very unique sound. I'm not sure about the Vortech, though....
You can stay under boost with all the options I believe. I spoke to Afixer and he can stay under boost easily, and so can I and you confirmed it can be done with the Procharger.

As for sounding cool, the best I have heard are teh twin screws, but I heard prochargers and vortechs at the shop and I can say the procharger is unique, and sounds bad ***.

On the turbo, its expensive which is why you don't see them on a lot of stangs. I was talking to a cobra owner yesterday and he was considering a twin turbo setup, but couldn't stomach the money he had to dish out. The turbo actually deepened my exhaust note.

I almost went with the Vortech, was really close to getting it. I'm sure I would have been happy with that too.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:01 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HxCory

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

I plan on going S/C. I've always been a fan of the S/C, sound and specs.
I think the Turbo's are too rice
Because imports have turbos? Sorry, can't post this comment without backing it up. All the top drag cars are running turbos, and I'm talking domestics. And I was worried about how the turbo would make my exhaust sound, and it sounds pretty good IMO. As for the sound of a SC, I love the sound of a twin screw, but a centri doesent sound any more attractive than a turbo. Actually mine is pretty quiet in real life, you have to listen for it. Its all based on opinion though, just like exhaust. But a rice comment? So my car is rice?

The Xcharger sounds awesome IMO.
Meh, personal opinion.
And I never said your car was, I just stated my opinion.
I don't care if you want to flame me
Hey, I'm not flaming you man. I just couldn't resist responding. We all have our opinions. It's cool.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:06 AM
HxCory
2nd Gear Member

I am a Turbo fan too, I would just rather do an S/C on my car.
Most of the 4.6 guys want to switch to a TT setup. They are more powerful down the road, I mean a buddy of mine has a Supra pushing TWENTY TWO(22) POUNDS! I thought that was crazy!
Old 06-05-2006, 01:11 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I am a Turbo fan too, I would just rather do an S/C on my car.
Most of the 4.6 guys want to switch to a TT setup. They are more powerful down the road, I mean a buddy of mine has a Supra pushing TWENTY TWO(22) POUNDS! I thought that was crazy!
I too have know some V8 guys wanting to make the switch. I hear ya, I love my turbo, but there is something about the sound of a twin screw, just sounds bad *** in a old school way. And listen to Afixers roots SC vid, it sounds mean too.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:17 AM
HxCory
2nd Gear Member

Is there a lot of Twin-Screws for our 4.0 yet? Or mostly Cent? I've seen like two, that X-Charger and I can't think of the other.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:19 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Is there a lot of Twin-Screws for our 4.0 yet? Or mostly Cent? I've seen like two, that X-Charger and I can't think of the other.
Not yet, MSP emailed KB and Whipple and got the same response from both. "We have no plans to develop applications for the V6" Oh well, thier loss, its a huge market. But here is another SC option for us, Jimp/BlackLX found it:

http://american-speed.com/collective...read.php?t=717

Looks promising.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Tha Darkness
1st Gear Member

Superchargers and Turbochargers are both great, its personal preference.

We're going with tha Turbo setup in a few months.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:26 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Only centri and roots so far. Here is a list of power adders currently available for our 4.0's:

http://american-speed.com/collective...read.php?t=167
Old 06-05-2006, 01:29 AM
HxCory
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I'm a member there too, and I was just looking at that a few minutes ago! haha.
Still a great link for people who are looking for any FI.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:38 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

That's the first time I've ever heard anyone call a turbo ricey. Turbos predate the rice phenom by decades, there's nothing ricey about them.

I would be interested to hear a comparison of a blown V6 Mustang to a GT Mustang as far as how the power -feels-. Based on the numbers it looks like the blown V6s are the same as or a little faster than a GT, but is the profile of the power delivery different? That's what I've been wondering. I'm still on the fence about whether to go with a power adder or wait a bit and trade my ride in on a GT.

Quick Reply: Convince Me