Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine Clatter?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 10:31 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Clatter?!?!

repost
Old 06-22-2006, 10:31 PM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Oh man if you had thoughts about my Mother that weren't right your sicker than I thought you were. Seek help LMAO

Hey, more power to you. YOu get that GTO. We'll meet half way and have some fun down the wrong side of the highway.
ORIGINAL: paulboy16

actualy yes i did have thoughts about your mother that werent right !!!

one day i shall own a 6.0 GTO

Paul
ORIGINAL: blazen351

WOW, you might want to talk to somebody about that. I bet it's Freudian. Did you ever have thoughts about your mother that were ummm not right?
ORIGINAL: paulboy16

blazen u thru a spanner into the works there... now im gonna be thinking of that damn sexy hybrid all day tommorow, might have to test drive one now. wonder what they will give me on a trade in???

Actualy in seriousness the pontiac GTO IS my dream car, last night was the 4th dream about the damn car (the new one) and i woke up in tears coz it was stolen by a chinese woman.

Paul
Old 06-22-2006, 10:33 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

LOL

i heard the gtos dont have a gostago slapper so there aint no problems with the enhancer intake

Paul
Old 06-22-2006, 10:35 PM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

Hmm, did you just fill up with gas? Sounds like you got some bad petrol to me.... you might be experiencing some detonation. On the other hand, you might be hearing some valve noise under there. It would be a lot more noticeable under load. Check your oil, take it to the dealership.

Is the clattering rhythmic, or random?

On a lighter note, I had an old z-28 that made noise like that under acceleration, and it turned out to be a motor mount, the fan blade was hitting the shroud when I would get on it, Fun car, hated having to work on it constantly.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:38 PM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

I don't know much about the GTO, but I've heard they suffer from fagindriverseat belt power loss. Suddenly the drivers wrist just goes limp and there and are 3 half naked guys in the car weighing it down.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:43 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

LOL
ORIGINAL: blazen351

I don't know much about the GTO, but I've heard they suffer from fagindriverseat belt power loss. Suddenly the drivers wrist just goes limp and there and are 3 half naked guys in the car weighing it down.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:37 AM
Tungsten
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: windveilpete

Hmm, did you just fill up with gas? Sounds like you got some bad petrol to me.... you might be experiencing some detonation. On the other hand, you might be hearing some valve noise under there. It would be a lot more noticeable under load. Check your oil, take it to the dealership.

Is the clattering rhythmic, or random?

On a lighter note, I had an old z-28 that made noise like that under acceleration, and it turned out to be a motor mount, the fan blade was hitting the shroud when I would get on it, Fun car, hated having to work on it constantly.
Hey Pete,

I filled up with 93 octane last week, I know they say it is built to run on 87 stock but won't 93 be better for it? (maybe it's a big mistake I dunno...I probably should have checked here first)

The clatter is rhythmic when it does happen...I can't really get it to happen consistently which is somewhat good I guess. I do have the most luck reproducing this sound in 4th gear around 1900-2100 RPMs and then attempting to give it some juice....

It was *really* bad on the way home from work but I let it sit for about an hour then drove it to blockbuster and the sound was hardly there....not sure what to make of that...

Any more thoughts?

~Mike
Old 06-23-2006, 12:47 AM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

It isn't bad at all to run 93 gas in it. It isn't going to make it run faster, but you won't have to worry about detonation. I usually run mid grade in my cars, even if they don't require it because I am weird. Some folks say premium gas is cleaner, some say it makes little to no difference. You *should* be bale to run regular 87 gas in your car with no problems, it was made for that gas.

Wisdom says its always okay to run better gas than recommended, never run lower than recommended.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:55 AM
cejaay13
1st Gear Member

No, 93 is not better, but is shouldn't hurt either. You should only use it if you have it tuned for 93.

The higher the octane, the slower the speed of the burn; the lower the octane the faster the burn. If the burn is too fast, uncontrolled combustion can occur. This most often is heard as “pinging” and is commonly referred to as detonation. This is because instead of burning through top dead center of the combustion stroke, the entire charge is ignited too early and explodes in the chamber and acts as a bomb. Conversely, if the speed of the burn is too slow, it continues after the useful work can be done in the motor and manifests itself as poor throttle response, reduced power output and increased emissions and fuel consumption.

I think it is bad fuel. You could be getting detonation under load. Try over gearing it up a hill, I bet you will hear it a lot more. If it gets real bad you should stop driving it until you find out what it is.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:19 AM
Tungsten
2nd Gear Member

Hmm, thanks for the advice, as my tank is almost empty, I'll go ahead and go back to 87 and see if the problems continue...

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Engine Clatter?!?!