Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine Clatter?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 05:50 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Clatter?!?!

If I were you, I'd be hoping that a rod hasn't been thrown.

If you happen to be running the engine without oil, then that could be happening. I know this from experience.

The only other thing I think it could be is a motor mount. If I was you, I would hope it's the motor mount.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Tungsten
2nd Gear Member

Ok, update time

I took the car to a *real* mechanic (one that knows engines beyond what a computer tells them) and let him listen to the sound. But first, some more information about when the sound happens for those of you out there who care :P

-It actually happens in *all* gears, but is most noticable in 4th gear.
-It always happens between 1,500 and 2,000 RPMs (makes a scraping noise)
-ONLY happens if clutch is engaged, with foot down on the clutch it is perfectly fine in this RPM range.

this is *NOT* the same sound the clutch makes if you are rolling out of your driveway at super slow speeds.

The mechanic who gave me the recommendation said, the first thing to check would be the transmission fluid, because it sounded to him like some gears were dry. Anybody hear of the factory skimping on transmission fluid (I have a 5spd btw)?

Any other 5 speeders out there hear this noise in that RPM range? The mechanic said it was not a good sound to hear and will only get worse over time...

I'm off to the dealership again this weekend and am going to personally ride with the mechanic and make him hear the sound

Anyway, just thought I'd update you all for your own benefit in the future...any thoughts on this noise?

-Mike
Old 07-03-2006, 08:06 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tungsten

Ok so I filled my car up with 87 and the problem is still there.....granted I have not really run on that tank for too long, I don't think it's related to the gas....

Does anybody else's 5 speed tranny give a slight rattle/clatter in neutral? Basically when I start up the car in the morning and pop it into neutral, I hear the a rattle that sounds very similar to the clutch when engaging at slow speeds...it's more of a rhythmic clatter. The reason I ask is because that is a very watered down version of the clatter I hear in 4th gear at 2,000rpms when I try to give it some go. If it is the same thing causing noise, I'm not sure how and why my car just did not run/sound right coming home from work yesterday....I have not had the problem of that severity since then.

The worst I'm hearing now is the clatter in 4th gear at low RPMs and *not* while cruising...only while testing acceleration (which I know is garbage at that gear). That and a little clutch/tranny rattle in neutral when the car is idle. But the two sound very similar *and* it's performance affecting at its worst...

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike
the 4th gear clatter is normal,
Old 07-03-2006, 08:10 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

its thenature of our transmissions.. its the design of our bearings.. 4th gear is a one to one ratio, direct powerflow. the stress is directly on the bearings

my clatter got better over time.. i got 48,000 onmy car now, the only rattles i have is that my dumb handbrake lever is loose and is anoying on acceleration
Old 07-15-2006, 05:43 AM
edified
1st Gear Member

All of the mustang I've owned or driven with 5 speed tranny makes noise. That's what ford is most famous at.. "Clanky" Tremec tranny's. (Try driving a Cobra model and the noise will scare the hell out of you! ) But what you've been describing is unusual. I hope you've resolve the problem by now. Take it to a reputable transmission shop and have them check it. I never trust my car/s with the dealers' --- Good luck!

[IMG]local://upfiles/37295/0988D3497C9645F0832D8FA70675C011.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-15-2006, 06:07 AM
Johnnydayz
1st Gear Member

I also have a very slight rattle at 4th gear. Every thing else is fantastic. but that rattle in 4th always makes me cringe just a little. I'm hoping that when i break it in a little better it will go away. I've currently have 1100 miles on it with one month. keep us posted on any new info! thanks