Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

shaker hood scoop

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: shaker hood scoop

ORIGINAL: Pyrat

ORIGINAL: Riven02

A shaker hood is a cosmetic upgrade. You will gain little to no power. The Mach 1s had a 32V DOHC 4.6s. The shaker did not add the power the engine did.
Based on the location of the shaker hood scoop in relation to the location of the 05+ air intake I initially thought it was strictly a cosmetic modification, but after reading up on it, it does include a ducting system which brings air to the area of the stock air intake. Apparently you have to modify the air cleaner isolation box by making a hole in it for the ducting to attach to. While exactly how much power this would add is debatable and would vary with speed and the effectiveness of the scoops design, it would bring cold air to the stock air intake. It, however, I do believe the design is not a ram air system, as the original carburetor mounted shaker's were (they were sealed directly to the carb so air was forced directly into the carb, whereas this system ducts air into the engine compartment in the "area" of the air intake), but it may be as, or more effective then some of the other scoop systems available for the 05+. The design does seem to be for the stock Mustang CAI system, so you would need to evaluate how the shaker would or could be modified to work with your after market CAI.

Here's a link to the installation manual: http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...kerGT%20TS.pdf
Here is some pics from when I installed mine. I saw 0 gains from the shaker. You can get a good idea of the ducting from the pics. I have a GT but the 6 is going to be very similar. The only thing the shaker will do for you is bring in a little more cold air. But since the car get its air from the fender it is already relativly cool while moving anyway.

TO see the final pics click FWD a page on that link.

On a side note I think they look bad ***, and I have no regret on buying it.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:45 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

it just looks so cool
Old 09-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

Here is some pics from when I installed mine. I saw 0 gains from the shaker. You can get a good idea of the ducting from the pics. I have a GT but the 6 is going to be very similar. The only thing the shaker will do for you is bring in a little more cold air. But since the car get its air from the fender it is already relativly cool while moving anyway.

That makes sense. So based on what I'm reading it looks like the most functional hood design for the 05+ is probably the heat extraction type, which should enhance the stock design.

But you're right, that shaker does look great!!! [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 09-16-2006, 05:17 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

if you are gonna spend that amount if money, id just get the california dream ram air hood. Looks bad *** as hell and i think it does come with ducting for true ram-air and should make for far better flow than just the shaker.
http://www.lmperformance.com/5716/73.html
Old 09-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

That makes sense. So based on what I'm reading it looks like the most functional hood design for the 05+ is probably the heat extraction type, which should enhance the stock design.

that hood doesn't fit the V6
Old 09-17-2006, 02:19 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Furinox

that hood doesn't fit the V6
According to Dallas Mustang Parts it does. http://www.dallasmustang.com/prod/205349
Old 09-17-2006, 04:41 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I asked a GT owner what gains he got from his shaker...his response was 3-4RWHP. He said its for looks only.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:06 PM
imbus
2nd Gear Member

thats gay.