Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

manual transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 11:48 AM
intelwalk

Default manual transmission question

When your starting from a complete in first what rpm do you usuallystart out at when ya release clutch/gas meet? Seems like for me its always hard to get it jsut right . It just feels odd sometimes getting the clutch release/gas down. Thanks for the input!
Old 09-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: manual transmission question

I would let off the clutch a bit until I could feel the friction. I used to rev the engine to about 1500rpm, then slowly release clutch and increase gas slowly at the same time. If you keep the gas flow the same, and release the clutch completely, it will go, bog down, then go again.

It just takes some practice. Find your nearest cinema complex and practice. Or Wal Mart. Or Tops, wherever. Just a giant parking lot area.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:58 PM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

I’m assuming your problem is the car staling because you release the clutch to soon, yeah like he said find an empty flat surface parking lot and practice just that. Releasing the clutch, for now with no gas, meaning slowly let go of the clutch in 1st gear till it catches and than when you let go of it completely the car accelerates by it self. Have fun…..
Old 09-23-2006, 03:09 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

let the clutch out slower than you think, and until you get good, give the car more gas than you need to. You are better off wearing your clutch a tiny bit faster and maybe chirping the tires by accident than stalling out in the middle of an intersection. when i was first starting to drive a stick i would rev all the way up to 2500 rpm's because i didnt really have a good feel for the clutch and i didnt want to stall. Now i rev to about 1400-1500 and you slowly increase how much gas you are giving it while you let up on the clutch. The key is to not drop below the rpm's you started at. If you just let up on the clutch and leave the gas in the same position you will notice the rpm's will drop and you will bog. Try to keep the rpm's at the same point until the clutch is fully engaged and it will be smooth as a babies butt.