Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Thinking of FI

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:31 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking of FI

So... this means the XCharger must almost always run in boost.... and that's bad long term?

I'm confused on turbo boost.... the impeller is spinning at all RPM, and hence is providing some compression, so you must always have at least a couple PSI boost, right? Or is a valve dumping it off??
Old 11-01-2006, 08:37 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

ORIGINAL: ricklmesa@***.net

yea what you feel is right for you man. I wanted a Centrifical SC. Just cause the boost is not actually being built untill 3500 rpm. That was a plus for me. I didn't want boost in the daily driver area. I know you could just stay out it but I didn't want it there that early or easy. I wanted the turbo but I didn't get it for a few reasons.

1. It was not out yet and I could not have waited this long!!! lol
2. I didn't want maximum boost by 3000!! I wanted it to build in the higher rpms not the lower ones. I felt its kinda less wear and tear of the engine also. A SC will kill the motor just as much as a turbocharger will but I fiqured why have boost at 2500? Thats crazy. I'll try turbo on my V8 when I get one down the road.
3. I didn't really want to have my block or whatever it is tapped for the oil.

As far as your friend with the SRT-4. He won't like it when you go FI! lol Doesn't mean nothing on the street but Srt-4's stock, see my tail lights just like the Cobolts lol. I was keeping up with an EVO last week in the morning cold!! lol. I actually started pulling on him a tad but he might have been letting off. Im scared of EVO's and STI's !! lol I look so stock too its great! Im only running about 6psi at 5500. I hit 7psi the other day in 3rd but I had to take her to 6000rpm [:@] A little in the red!! Won't do that again unless its for time at the track. Track wise I need better rubber and more practice lol

Nah that was a little off subject but go with whats a good set up for you. Im happy with the procharger. Does its job.
I commute every day to work and run errands in my car under boost. The key is investing in a boost gauge.

Im in Vac on my boost gauge at around 2500 rpm range. When I press the gas to get into boost range it has to gradually build up to the boost.

See thats what confuses me about turbos. If you have boost half way built or all the way maxed by 2000 - 2900 how do you not stay out of it? I cruise at 45 in 2000rpm sometimes? So would I be in boost while Im just cruising if I had a turbo?? Or are you in Vac too and once you press the gas it just gos to the boost? I know you can stay out of it, I just don't see it. Im still new to all this though. I mean once you press the gas with a turbo there is not much waiting with a turbo I assume since the boost is there that early.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:23 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

it only will build boost that low, if you are WOT, if you are just easy on the throttle, it wont build boost at all.