Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tune it myself or pay for it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Sniper308
2nd Gear Member

Default Tune it myself or pay for it?

I've been all over this forum and a few others and have read about good things and bad things about tuning. The one thing I'm noticing though is how "bad" BAD can be if you do a tune yourself and don't know what you're doing.

I've been leaning toward buying a CAI with a tuner, as a package deal, and doing it myself... by following the instructions. Is this relatively okay... to the point of seeing definite performance improvements while not damaging my engine... or should I just take it somewhere? I live on the IL/IA border and am right between Des Moines, IA, and Chicago, IL... Milwaukee, WI, might be another option; is there some "good" place in one of these areas I should talk to about having a tune done?

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:40 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Tune it myself or pay for it?

ORIGINAL: Sniper308

I've been all over this forum and a few others and have read about good things and bad things about tuning. The one thing I'm noticing though is how "bad" BAD can be if you do a tune yourself and don't know what you're doing.

I've been leaning toward buying a CAI with a tuner, as a package deal, and doing it myself... by following the instructions. Is this relatively okay... to the point of seeing definite performance improvements while not damaging my engine... or should I just take it somewhere? I live on the IL/IA border and am right between Des Moines, IA, and Chicago, IL... Milwaukee, WI, might be another option; is there some "good" place in one of these areas I should talk to about having a tune done?

Thanks.
Buying a tuner and CAI intake together as a combo will save you some money rather than buying them separately. We have several good vendors here @ MF to chose from. The tuner and intake come with instructions, so it is a Do-It-Yourself project.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:40 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

I don't really know how you could "tune it yourself" It is pretty much a plug and play CPU unit. If you get the combo it is usually cheaper and the XCAL will come with tune on it. Good luck there are many out there. I got the TI CAI and XCAL for $525 and it is great.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:46 AM
proia

i have the diablo sport tuner...kinda of regreting it...

my car shifts to 5th like normal...then drops back down to forth and redlines....i dont know if this is normal... i need help myself
Old 11-10-2006, 05:02 AM
skiba5546
1st Gear Member

If you go the route of custome tune, Slingshot Motorsport in Fox River Grove, IL is a great place. I was going to go with them to do my heads/cam but I have something else in mind... [sm=badbadbad.gif] Last time I was there they had about 5 mustangs in the shop, so I'd trust them with mine. The website is http://www.slingshotmotorsport.com/
Old 11-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Sniper308
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skiba5546

The website is http://www.slingshotmotorsport.com/
I love this (specifically, the third "rate") from their website.

Labor Rates!!!

$75.00/Hr Normal Work
$85.00/Hr Engine Internals
$250.00/Hr If you want to "Help"
$75.00 3 Dyno Runs with WB O2
$150.00/Hr Dyno Rental Session
$100.00/Hr Each Additional Hour

Thanks for the posts, guys.

I'm thinking about the CAI and tuner from Tunable Induction, but there are many posts supporting professional tunes. I just don't know. I'm kind of leaning toward installing the package and using a tuner. I hate decisions like this.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:46 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sniper308

Labor Rates!!!

$75.00/Hr Normal Work
$85.00/Hr Engine Internals
$250.00/Hr If you want to "Help"
$75.00 3 Dyno Runs with WB O2
$150.00/Hr Dyno Rental Session
$100.00/Hr Each Additional Hour

Thanks for the posts, guys.

I'm thinking about the CAI and tuner from Tunable Induction, but there are many posts supporting professional tunes. I just don't know. I'm kind of leaning toward installing the package and using a tuner. I hate decisions like this.
I can only offer advice and not make a decision for you but you will not be disappointed with the TI CAI. It is sharp and he give you three tune with it. If you want to later upgrade further you can have a shop or online tuner IE DOUG at BAMA give you a tune to fix what isn't perfect with the DeMoulet tunes. I hope it helps and let us know what you deciede.