Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MRT installed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 01:36 AM
Red Knight
1st Gear Member

Default RE: MRT installed!

ORIGINAL: scrming

ORIGINAL: Red Knight

After reading some of the comments on this thread I'm glad I didn't buy the MRT. It seems like quite a few have bought it, only to sell it soon after.

I'm getting my Magnaflow axle back tomorrow and hopefully the drone will not be an issue.

3 guys is not quite a few... considering how many guys like me like their MRT... Prior to the MRT I had the Magnaflow axle back... The MRT Aero-Turbine is a better performing and in my opinion better sounding exhaust than the magnaflow... and the MRT is less $$$$
You’re right, 3 guys on this thread does not equal the entire universe of MRT owners. My observation is that there seem to be more used MRTs for sale lately then other axle backs. If you like the MRT that's great for you. Personally, my only potential issue with the MRT was the drone which seems to be discussed frequently on this forum.

Sound is very subjective. Not everyone will like the same exhaust. As for performance, it seems that most of the axle backs are very close in performance to each other. It’s not like I’m going to gain a second in the ¼ mile or even half a second by getting the MRT over the Magnaflow. I already read your dyno numbers about the MRT providing more HP than the Magnaflow and that's great, but I'd rather have a bit less noise and drone along with a little less power. Again, it's all subjective and all of us will never agree on everything. Opinions vary and statistics can be interpreted and presented to support any conclusion.

By the way, does MRT provide you with free stuff?
Old 11-30-2006, 03:16 AM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

The sound at higher RPMs will get better. I noticed the same thing with my Flowmaster AT. At the suggestion of my GFs father, everytime I pulled onto her street or my street, I would let her rev up and drive the road in 2nd gear. Did that for about 2 weeks, and the muffler broke in real quick.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:30 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

After reading some of the comments on this thread I'm glad I didn't buy the MRT. It seems like quite a few have bought it, only to sell it soon after.

I'm getting my Magnaflow axle back tomorrow and hopefully the drone will not be an issue.

3 guys is not quite a few... considering how many guys like me like their MRT... Prior to the MRT I had the Magnaflow axle back... The MRT Aero-Turbine is a better performing and in my opinion better sounding exhaust than the magnaflow... and the MRT is less $$$$
You’re right, 3 guys on this thread does not equal the entire universe of MRT owners. My observation is that there seem to be more used MRTs for sale lately then other axle backs. If you like the MRT that's great for you. Personally, my only potential issue with the MRT was the drone which seems to be discussed frequently on this forum.

Sound is very subjective. Not everyone will like the same exhaust. As for performance, it seems that most of the axle backs are very close in performance to each other. It’s not like I’m going to gain a second in the ¼ mile or even half a second by getting the MRT over the Magnaflow. I already read your dyno numbers about the MRT providing more HP than the Magnaflow and that's great, but I'd rather have a bit less noise and drone along with a little less power. Again, it's all subjective and all of us will never agree on everything. Opinions vary and statistics can be interpreted and presented to support any conclusion.

Well, the things is if you are into 1/4 mile racing you don't measure improvements by full seconds (unless you are talking power adder)... you don't even measure it 1/2 seconds (still need a power adder for that kind of improvement)... for those are looking for the lowest ETs improvements are measured in the 1/10ths... and looking to squeeze every bit out of there car! Look at the guys willing to spend $350+ ($300 + belt.. shipping? install?) for a UD that will only gain them 4 to 6 HP...

You're right... the sound of an Aero-Turbine is not for everyone...

And yes, MRT provides me with free T-shirts and Hats.... I pay for everything else...
Old 11-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Red Knight
1st Gear Member

Well, the things is if you are into 1/4 mile racing you don't measure improvements by full seconds (unless you are talking power adder)... you don't even measure it 1/2 seconds (still need a power adder for that kind of improvement)... for those are looking for the lowest ETs improvements are measured in the 1/10ths... and looking to squeeze every bit out of there car! Look at the guys willing to spend $350+ ($300 + belt.. shipping? install?) for a UD that will only gain them 4 to 6 HP...

And yes, MRT provides me with free T-shirts and Hats.... I pay for everything else...
I don't race my cars. Perhaps my example would have been better stated if I said I probably won't gain even 1/10th in the quarter mile if I have a MRT versus a Magnaflow.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:32 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Can you get me a free t-shirt too?
I forgot to pick up my free calendar at Evolution yesterday. [&o]
Old 11-30-2006, 04:42 PM
chavalo_nm1
3rd Gear Member

Well If the GT take off is comaparable with the magna flow or borla or flowmaster...........then the MRT has more power over them because I had a GT take off on for about a couple months and the MRT out performs it hands down IMO.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Ant69
2nd Gear Member

I got a little lost in the debate over who has the biggest exhaust. Congats on the new MRT's I hope they work out for you.
Keep us informed so we can maybe settle the big pipe debate in the future.

I thought Borla or Bassani were considered the top dawgs for performance but just aren't popular due to price comparision and performance over other flow through type mufflers available.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:05 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

I don't race my cars. Perhaps my example would have been better stated if I said I probably won't gain even 1/10th in the quarter mile if I have a MRT versus a Magnaflow.
Thing is I bet you would pick up a 1/10th in the quarter... let's look at the dyno sheet again...

At peak HP (at about 5200 RPM) the MRT is 7RWHP above the Magnaflow... but look what happens after the peak... The gap widens! Its more like 10 to 12RWHP above. As far as I know, most guys are probably shifting in the 5800 to 5900 RPM range... so the 10 to 12 really does come into play! That's why a common comment on the MRT is it pulls stronger in the upper RPM range... which is exactly what the dyno shows! And based on those number I can honestly say it's good for close to 1/10th in the quarter...
Old 11-30-2006, 06:21 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ant69

I got a little lost in the debate over who has the biggest exhaust. Congats on the new MRT's I hope they work out for you.
Keep us informed so we can maybe settle the big pipe debate in the future.

I thought Borla or Bassani were considered the top dawgs for performance but just aren't popular due to price comparision and performance over other flow through type mufflers available.

I was VERY VERY skeptical when I first read about the Aero-Turbine and the claims it makes... From their website:

"The Aero Exhaust uses the same basic design and technique as a jet engine. By diverting slower moving outside air around the faster moving inside air, it creates a vortex that dramatically reduces the exhaust backpressure."

Basically the Bernoulli effect... this is what makes the MRT Aero-Turbine a top performer... Thats why the MRT really shines in the upper RPMs... think of it as super-scavaging! LOL!
Old 11-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Red Knight
1st Gear Member

Thing is I bet you would pick up a 1/10th in the quarter... let's look at the dyno sheet again...

At peak HP (at about 5200 RPM) the MRT is 7RWHP above the Magnaflow... but look what happens after the peak... The gap widens! Its more like 10 to 12RWHP above. As far as I know, most guys are probably shifting in the 5800 to 5900 RPM range... so the 10 to 12 really does come into play! That's why a common comment on the MRT is it pulls stronger in the upper RPM range... which is exactly what the dyno shows! And based on those number I can honestly say it's good for close to 1/10th in the quarter...
I'm sure MRT will thank you once again for the free advertising. Like I said, I don't race my car so it's a moot point for me. My normal shifts on the street don't get anywhere near 5800. More like between 3000-4500. If I did race, I would have bought a used Porsche 911 or similar vehicle.

Quick Reply: MRT installed!