Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Questions from a new guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Kamalyn
1st Gear Member

Default Questions from a new guy

Hello everyone, sorry for the double post - but the convertible forums don't seem to have much going on and these do so I thought I'd try here [sm=hiya.gif]

I've been lurking here for awhile - while I decided what to buy and searched for it. Got a 2006 V6 Convertible yesterday - loving every minute of it.

This is the first car I have purchased that I actually care about - all my others were well... junk, I was hoping you guys could answer some (probably simple) questions.

When you guys are driving with the top down, and you go to the store or restaurant - do you leave the top down when you go in, or is that just a sure way to have your car messed with?
Is the boot for the convertible part worth buying if I will be driving with he top down a lot?
Anything I should know about caring for the convertible top - such as when washing it etc...
And - just in general - anything I should know before I go buy a bunch of cleaning supplies to wash my car? Chemicals to avoid, products to look for etc...

Someone also told me that when I drive it in the rain - soon as it is done raining I should rinse off my car with a hose, even if I'm not washing it right then. Is that a bunch of bologna - or is he right?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Old 12-22-2006, 12:34 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Questions from a new guy

Congrats on the new vert....

I never leave the top down when I leave the car, unless I will be sitting and watching it. Why take a chance. Jealous people and stupid kids are everywhere.

YES, get the boot, and use it as often as possible. The roadway is a dirty place... Do you want all that dirt blowing into the top and inside the vert mechanism and vert inside roof top?

I never drive in the rain, so I can't say.. but... rain basically scrubs tons of dirt and crap from the sky as it falls. This lands on your car. Then as the water evaporates, it leaves all the crap behind. It is never a bad idea to wipe excess water off the top. Same for when you wash it. Always wipe away the excess water.

Also get RaggTopp convertible top cleaner and protectant. This is what virtually everybody uses. It is the recommended product that Hartz, who makes our top, suggests. Use the protectant and it will keep the top looking nice. Hope you got the black top, I think the light colored ones must be a &#(*% to keep clean.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:09 AM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

We got the boot with our car but it has never been taken out of the wrapper. We also go into stores and shorter stops without putting up the top, never had a problem. As for cleaning, I did the research and will purchase the RAGGTOP stuff, but for now, when the car gets washed (frequently), the top gets washed with the same stuff. It looks great but I plan on doing the RAGGTOP stuff soon. This is our second MUSTANG convertible. When we traded the 99, it looked new, and before we moved to VA, it sat outside ALL the time. The cars have a quality top.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:17 PM
swayv6
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the vert family.
I also occasionally leave the top down when I go into a store. Whether I leave it down or not depends on the area and how long I plan on being in the store.

I rarely use my boot. I find it a hassle to put on and take off, so I usally don't bother, but it's your call.

Of course it's always good to get dirt off your car as soon as possible, but I've had mine in the rain several times without washing it right away, and it still looks great after almost a year.The protective coat from the factory should be fine for several months, but a good wax like Mequire's should be used after that.