Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

cleaning an mmr intake??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 01:14 AM
stangfreak2
2nd Gear Member

Default cleaning an mmr intake??

so i need to clean my mmr air intake filter...how do i do this???
Old 04-02-2007, 01:21 AM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: cleaning an mmr intake??

Just go to an autoparts store and buy a K&N filter recharging kit. It's a cleaner, that you spray onto the filter, and then rinse it off and let it dry. After it's dry, you'll repray your filter with a different spray that helps it trap particles. That's what I'd do; although I do have a friend with a "reusable" type air filter that just hoses his off, and puts it back in.
For any of the reusable type filters, I'd recommend that K&N kit.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:21 AM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanICON

Just go to an autoparts store and buy a K&N filter recharging kit. It's a cleaner, that you spray onto the filter, and then rinse it off and let it dry. After it's dry, you'll repray your filter with a different spray that helps it trap particles. That's what I'd do; although I do have a friend with a "reusable" type air filter that just hoses his off, and puts it back in.
For any of the reusable type filters, I'd recommend that K&N kit.
+1....I also have the MMR and I just did this...Works great and the filter looks and performes like brand new. K&N cleaning kit was 8 bux...and I can clean the filter a few more times with the amout of cleaner spray and oil I got.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:39 PM
tomsa55
1st Gear Member

Get the K&N Filter recharger kit, autozone carries them. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

Do not use any kind of forced air to dry the filter, hair drier included, let it dry just sitting on the workbench or shelf over night. Use the red oil spray sparinly, and let it dry over night. If you use too much oil, it will flow within the air intake, get on the MAF sensor, then you looking at a couple bills to replace the MAF. If you try and force dry the filter, or use high pressure air or water to clean and dry, you will mess up the cotton gauze thats holds the oil, and traps the dirt. You don't need to clean but about once a year or 20K miles. The KN filter works better if it's a little dirty. If you live out in country, where the bugs are big and bad, slip a nylon stocking over the filter, that will keep the bigger stuff out of the filter pleats. good luck, and have fun