Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MRT exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:52 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: MRT exhaust

ORIGINAL: pperin

ORIGINAL: sdsguy

guys, the only problem i have is that i don't have anything other than a basic tool set. if i were to prop the car up, i'd have to use the jack stand.

do you think it would be something i can easily do still?
Hey sdguy
I will be glad to help you install it I did mine (before I took it off). I have a floor jack, stands and tools. We can get it on in about 20 minutes.
i may take you up on that. if i can't do it on my own, i'll send you a message.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:20 AM
Glacial
1st Gear Member

i may take you up on that. if i can't do it on my own, i'll send you a message.
It's really, really simple once you know how, but having an assist, especially from someone who's done it before, will save you time and sweat

My experience: I unbolted the rear-mosthanger (at the tailpipe) and slipped thestock muffler out of the hanger bushings. The hardest part for me was wrestling the stock hangers out of the side and axleback rubber bushings, since Ford flared the endsthey're a bastard to pull out backwards. ESSENTIAL TIP: Grease 'em up with some dish soap first and they pop right out. Grunted and swore for 15 minutes before I thought of that, and that was the majority of the install time!

Well, and the stock clamp was tack-welded to the bottom of the pipe, nobody told me that, lol. Spent a few minutes wondering why the loosened clamp wouldn't budge. Then I pried the weld off, snap!Piece o' cake, just a little muscle.

The muffler slips right on, bolt up the midpipe, bolt up the hanger, make sure the tip's not touching the muffler, and you're done!

Took me a little over half an hour -- if I did it again, knowing what I know, I bet it'd be under 15 minutes. I did mine on a gravel driveway, no jacking -- I'm 6'1 'n ~200lbs, and it wasn'ta squeeze!

Go do it! It's not really your car till you do the work yourself, after all
Old 05-19-2007, 01:17 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

thank you SOOO much guys, all of your input is awesome! i got the email saying the package will come in friday the latest so hopefully one day after work i'll put it on and do sound clips! i reallly want to be able to say i did something on my car, so i'm definitely going to try doing it on my own. i'll definetely needs jacks, 5'8 270 here so it won't be an easy fit...
glacial, you've been a lot of help!
Old 05-19-2007, 02:59 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sdsguy

thank you SOOO much guys, all of your input is awesome! i got the email saying the package will come in friday the latest so hopefully one day after work i'll put it on and do sound clips! i reallly want to be able to say i did something on my car, so i'm definitely going to try doing it on my own. i'll definetely needs jacks, 5'8 270 here so it won't be an easy fit...
glacial, you've been a lot of help!
good luck dude, and don't doubt yourself. this is very easy even for someone that really doesn't know what to do, and if you really get stuck shoot one of us a pm, id be glad to help you out as would many others here.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:51 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

yeah i put the MRT aeroturbine in about half an hour without a jack..pretty easy..and it sounds great!!
Old 05-19-2007, 08:31 PM
ChldsPlay

[align=left]I should be getting mine in on Monday. Stupid UPS. It was here in the city yesterday, but of course they're waiting until Monday to deliver it. I'm going to attempt to put it on myself even though I don't really know much of anything at all of what I'm doing. I'm good at figuring things out though, so I think I can do it. Not sure how the fit under the car will be though, I'm an awfully big guy. I suppose if I have any trouble I can get my scrawny brother-in-law to help.
[/align]
Old 05-22-2007, 12:08 AM
ChldsPlay

Well, I got it in today. Tried to fit under the car, and only could a little bit from the side. I could see some stuff well, but not everything. Couldn't really see how the hangers were on there very well. Probably should have parked at the top of my driveway instead of the bottom. Called my brother in law, he said I should just havea shop do it to have it done right.

Still might give it a try though, though I think I'd need more of a step by step walkthrough if anyone wants to give me one.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:25 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

yea i tried to get under my car today to see how it is, and i'm gonna have to jack it up...maybe put the front end in the garage to get a little bit more room. i stopped by autozone today to see how much it costs to get 2 2 ton jack sets and ajack with a crwaler...50 bucks but i'll only use it once.

my friend wants to come over and video tape it. we'll probably put it on youtube.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:56 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

You can always borrow jack stands from someone. Im sure someone you know has some...or do what i did before i got my jack stands. If you havea semi-deep ditch in your yard somewhere, carefully drive your car overtop of it so you ahve room to work under there, there is no chance of failure in any jack or anything, and you don't have to buy ****!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:00 AM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

You can always borrow jack stands from someone. Im sure someone you know has some...or do what i did before i got my jack stands. If you havea semi-deep ditch in your yard somewhere, carefully drive your car overtop of it so you ahve room to work under there, there is no chance of failure in any jack or anything, and you don't have to buy ****!
Or just start running....a lot.

Quick Reply: MRT exhaust