Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT takeoff Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:35 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Default RE: GT takeoff Analysis

Swap, Swap, Swap.
Swap that V6 muff for the GT take-off.
And paint it black with heat resistant paint.
It sounds as loud and as quiet as I want it.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:45 AM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2007Grabber

I love my GT take-off muffler. I bought mine used with about 8000 miles on them, so there has been no change in sound that I have noticed. I have heard the MRT and I think it sounds great too. All the others are mufflers for the ricers. I suggest to everyone that picks up a GT take-off muffler to paint the muffler flat black to "hide it" if they stay with the stock V6 bumper. It looks 10x better. Here's some pics:

That looks really good, I think im doin that to mine now. It looks alot like the Flowmaster american thunder
Old 06-03-2007, 10:28 PM
autorat67
1st Gear Member

im glad to hear all this positive feedback on the GT mufflers. mine will be here monday or tuesday. just going to put on the single for now and i cant wait.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:55 PM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: autorat67

im glad to hear all this positive feedback on the GT mufflers. mine will be here monday or tuesday. just going to put on the single for now and i cant wait.
yea single is the way to go IMO in the GT takeoff - i've heard bad things about dual GT takeoffs on a v6
Old 06-04-2007, 12:04 AM
FBullitt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LL88

yea single is the way to go IMO in the GT takeoff - i've heard bad things about dual GT takeoffs on a v6
What is bad about the dual GT takeoffs on the the V6 ??? I have been trying to decide what todo with my exhaust on an '07 Pony 5-speed manual. Almost decided on the dual GT takeoffs today and have them installed with an H-pipe at a good muffler shop I know of. The other idea I had was dual magnaflow with the H. I dont want drone and I want the best chance at performance increase as well. I know a single is probably about as good as duals and almost got the magnaflow single. But there is something about single that doesnt seem right on a mustang.

So anyway, what is the problem with dual takeoffs on the V6 ???

And where is the best place to get the dual takeoffs and how much ???
Old 06-04-2007, 12:13 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FBullitt

ORIGINAL: LL88

What is bad about the dual GT takeoffs on the the V6 ??? I have been trying to decide what todo with my exhaust on an '07 Pony 5-speed manual. Almost decided on the dual GT takeoffs today and have them installed with an H-pipe at a good muffler shop I know of. The other idea I had was dual magnaflow with the H. I dont want drone and I want the best chance at performance increase as well. I know a single is probably about as good as duals and almost got the magnaflow single. But there is something about single that doesnt seem right on a mustang.
+1

Gotta go duals WHATEVER you do.

The visuals are the key, even with the engine off, they make your pony stand out from the others.

I like my PYPES because they are badass loud.

I'm used to drone so it doesn't bother me (just throttle back under 75... or throttle up over 85...) Drone is only in the 2200-2500 RPM range with your foot in it. And DON'T use cruise control. Wastes gas.

Coasting,they go silent, so you can float past state troopers with their radar guns...

Slowly bring it back up as you leave them behind.

SOHC
Old 06-04-2007, 01:30 AM
bscottie
3rd Gear Member

I have tried a few things,
1st setup was dual magnaflows under the car, Xpipe, and Mac headers, I loved the sound and no ugly a** muffler under the bumper
2nd setup was dual Pypes street pros with x pipe and JBA headers, its F**ggin loud, I didnt have any drone, it had a deep idle and mean scream to it
3rd setup, and current experiment, a set of GT/CS takeoffs, with JBA headers and X pipe, they sound like stock did with one muffler, no nuts at all, I can hear the Shaker again but car is very quite, will either go back to the PYPES system or put some magnaflows back under the car soon

quite and smooth = stock or takeoffs
mild and a little wild = magnaflows
wild and mean = Pypes

just my $ .02 worth
Old 06-04-2007, 10:41 AM
PaceStang
2nd Gear Member

I have a single Magnaflow on mine. Gives me enough of a ballsy sound but not much droan when riding in my daily driver. I get comps all the time on it!
Old 06-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

I'm going to a muffler shop today to talk about converting to duals. I like my single GT Takeoff, but I want the look of duals. I am concerned about heat, and whether going duals could melt something. I'm also concerned about whether a big weld job would eventually fail, whether I should ask for an exhaust system that clamps together instead.

Last, the backpressure thing. Will it be bad for the eng? Bad for low-end torque? Oh, and I'm in Canada, too, so my mechanic will likely say, "Why d'you want duals, eh?"

Ken
Old 06-04-2007, 01:03 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

I question the benefits of duals on a sixer as well. I love the looks of duals, but like Mr. Rogers (not of his Neighborhood fame), I have heard that putting duals on a sixer is too much exhaust throughput and the engine can't scavenge the exhaust gases, resulting in worse low-end torque. Unless you're running F/I, wouldn't duals just be too much? Anyone with empirical data to support or squash this idea?

Quick Reply: GT takeoff Analysis