Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT takeoff Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 11:40 PM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

Default GT takeoff Analysis

Ok guys, I always read alotta posts about the GT takeoff, so I figured I'd try and help. I have a 2006 V6 5-speed stang, and i put on a GT takeoff about 5000 miles ago. Since then I've noticed a huge difference in sound. When I first put it on, this is what it sounded like.
Idle - same as stock
Startup, a litle louder
Acceleration - throatier, but not really that much louder

After a little bit of driving, it seems the exhaust wore it a little bit. It became noticably louder, and is now like this:
Idle - low purr, especially with windows down, it seems pretty ballsy.
Startup - This is the best part, every morning im treated to a relatively loud idle while the car warms up
Acceleration - extremely throatier, MUCH louder then stock, but not obnoxious, but still sounds like an animal.

I really have barely noticed any drone on this muffler. To summarize, it can be loud when you want it to be, and quiet when you want it to be. Its great for my everyday driving. Sure, there are a couple of times when I wish i had straight pipes lol but this does the job just fine. Its loud enough, that when I drive around a parking lot, or down a crowded street, people always turn to look at the car making the noise!
Old 06-02-2007, 12:03 AM
dodgerfrog

Default RE: GT takeoff Analysis

Agreed! I'm running a single GT takeoff and love the sound I get from it.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:07 AM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

I have been saying the same for a while!! This is the cheapest way to get great sound from our V-6's
Those of us that remember the 60's and 70's and the early V-8's will know that it's impossible for our 6's to sound like that. The best we can hope for is a little more agressive sound that the GT take-off provides.
Most of the others make our 6's sound like imports and too noisy not throaty and smooth like the Mustangs that our cars were made to be like.
BTW if you have a MRT or JBA or any other exhaust and you like it ............ Great!!
Old 06-02-2007, 01:19 AM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pperin

I have been saying the same for a while!! This is the cheapest way to get great sound from our V-6's
Those of us that remember the 60's and 70's and the early V-8's will know that it's impossible for our 6's to sound like that. The best we can hope for is a little more agressive sound that the GT take-off provides.
Most of the others make our 6's sound like imports and too noisy not throaty and smooth like the Mustangs that our cars were made to be like.
BTW if you have a MRT or JBA or any other exhaust and you like it ............ Great!!
hahaha agreed
Old 06-02-2007, 02:21 AM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dodgerfrog

dodgerfrog

Nice Stripe !!!!
Old 06-02-2007, 03:47 AM
dodgerfrog

ORIGINAL: Buckshot Barry

ORIGINAL: dodgerfrog

dodgerfrog

Nice Stripe !!!!
Thanks! The dealer tried to talk me out of it when I asked for it.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:18 AM
Razorbackfan
2nd Gear Member

Looks like yall convinced me to go the take off route. I want a deep sound from the muffler. ebay here I come!
Old 06-02-2007, 07:01 AM
2007Grabber
2nd Gear Member

I love my GT take-off muffler. I bought mine used with about 8000 miles on them, so there has been no change in sound that I have noticed. I have heard the MRT and I think it sounds great too. All the others are mufflers for the ricers. I suggest to everyone that picks up a GT take-off muffler to paint the muffler flat black to "hide it" if they stay with the stock V6 bumper. It looks 10x better. Here's some pics:

Old 06-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Glacial
1st Gear Member

It's not fair!

I keep wanting to swap to a GT take-off, but EVERY TIME I get worked up enough about the MRT's ear-bleeding drone to do something about it, someone walks by and says "holy ****, your car sounds badass!" or the like, and then I resolve just to suffer with the drone.

PS 07grabber: That looks awesome!
Old 06-02-2007, 02:56 PM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Glacial

It's not fair!

I keep wanting to swap to a GT take-off, but EVERY TIME I get worked up enough about the MRT's ear-bleeding drone to do something about it, someone walks by and says "holy ****, your car sounds badass!" or the like, and then I resolve just to suffer with the drone.

PS 07grabber: That looks awesome!
I was in the same boat as you. I had a single Flowmaster that was loud and had a bad drone at cruising speed. My wife put up with it as long as she could. I had only paid $40 for the Flowmaster used from a guy who bought it new and when he got home with it installed his wife heard it and cried. I found a pair of GT takeoffs on E-Bay for $45 plus $30 shipping. I installed just the right side and it sounds really god, When I get on it it is loud but for normal driving it is not so loud. Am planning on getting an x pipe and true duals using the GT takeoffs. Then a C&L CAI and an x-cal 2.

Quick Reply: GT takeoff Analysis