Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT takeoff Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:37 PM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GT takeoff Analysis

ORIGINAL: FBullitt

ORIGINAL: LL88

ORIGINAL: autorat67

im glad to hear all this positive feedback on the GT mufflers. mine will be here monday or tuesday. just going to put on the single for now and i cant wait.
yea single is the way to go IMO in the GT takeoff - i've heard bad things about dual GT takeoffs on a v6
What is bad about the dual GT takeoffs on the the V6 ??? I have been trying to decide what todo with my exhaust on an '07 Pony 5-speed manual. Almost decided on the dual GT takeoffs today and have them installed with an H-pipe at a good muffler shop I know of. The other idea I had was dual magnaflow with the H. I dont want drone and I want the best chance at performance increase as well. I know a single is probably about as good as duals and almost got the magnaflow single. But there is something about single that doesnt seem right on a mustang.

So anyway, what is the problem with dual takeoffs on the V6 ???

And where is the best place to get the dual takeoffs and how much ???
I'm basing this off of previous posts. I recall people saying that dual GT takeoffs cause the car to sound like a ricer. If I was going duals, I would go with dual flowmaster AT's or dual Pypes. I also remember someone saying that duals will give no performance gain N/A, even if they do look badass.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

I know I'm hijacking this thread here, but I just went to a local muffler shop and told him I had a set of GT Takeoffs andam interested in the dual conversion. He first asked me if I was looking for "true duals" (I believe that's what I want -- in other words, I don't just want him to connect the left-side exhaust to the right-side downstream).

He quoted me at $200 Canadian ($185 US) for the the pipe work (I provide the mufflers, I cut my own bumper valance). I asked him if he had any concerns about back pressure or heat, and he did not. He said the V6 wouldn't likely produce enough heat in the left-side exhaust to damage anything. He also recommended going X-pipe instead of H-pipe for sound. I always thought this was the other way around (X for performance, H for sound).

I'm busy searching for cut-your-own-valance threads, but if anybody can give me a good link, I'd appreciate that. It sounds like I will have to blindly cut first, then bring the car in for the duals. I was rather hoping to hang the muffler, make sure I've got my proposed hole aligned properly first before hacking away at my new car.

Kenout
Old 06-04-2007, 07:32 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

There's a post on cutting the rear valence to fit dual exhaust, and it was quite good. As soon as I find it, I'll post it......

As for the original topic, I have the GT takeoff Single-exhaust and have been happy with it. I think it's the best 'bang' for the buck, and basically no risk (as far as a sound I'll regret later).
Old 06-04-2007, 10:46 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

OK answers to several questions:

Duals:
PYPES duals +10
Sound quality is awesome
Loud as Hell (maybe louder)
Little performance gain overall, exceptin high end (revs like a bastard!!)
Pypes 4" chrome tips look AWESOME!
NO HEAT PROBLEMS with Pypes duals. Not enough heat to hurt anything.
Complete Pypes system costs less than 2 magnaflows or 2 flowmasters alone
"H" is supposed to sound deeper, "X" higher. I can't notice any difference.
There is not enough flow to make a sound difference.

SOHC
Old 06-04-2007, 11:59 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

just a comment- the GT mufflers are different part numbers for automatics/stickshifts...Ive read the Stick mufflers are considerably louder...not sure if theres an easy way to tell them apart.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:35 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: Ken Rogers

I'm going to a muffler shop today to talk about converting to duals. I like my single GT Takeoff, but I want the look of duals. I am concerned about heat, and whether going duals could melt something. I'm also concerned about whether a big weld job would eventually fail, whether I should ask for an exhaust system that clamps together instead.

Last, the backpressure thing. Will it be bad for the eng? Bad for low-end torque? Oh, and I'm in Canada, too, so my mechanic will likely say, "Why d'you want duals, eh?"

Ken
I'm running all-Ford parts: x-pipe, GT mid-pipe & hangers, and GT take-off mufflers. There is NO drone and the sound is better than my wife's vert with a single GT take-off muffler. It's not loud until you put your right foot into it!

Being N/A, I cannot say that the duals have added anything to my car's performance, but it looks and sounds better. From what I've been reading, the "loss of backpressure" from duals on our 4.0L's is more of an urban legend dating back to old-school gearheads. I asked areputable tuner who said that the cats arerestrictive enough to preventa loss of backpressure on our cars.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:27 AM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info. Do I need to use all Ford parts, or can I just get the muffler shop to do their magic?

If you don't mind, I'll start a new thread for this....

ken
Old 06-05-2007, 10:14 AM
FBullitt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ken Rogers

Thanks for the info. Do I need to use all Ford parts, or can I just get the muffler shop to do their magic?

If you don't mind, I'll start a new thread for this....

ken
A new threadto gather all the information needed toprovide the muffler shop to do this right would be great. I would like to know everything that I need to have this done right with minimal fabrication at the shop.

Necessary ford hangers, clamps,x or h pipe, correct diameter pipes, etc. I would also think that no weldsso thatthe exhaust can be easily removed when doing clutch, transmission, gas tank, etc work.

Any good pics of nice exhaust systems showing how it was put together and routedmight be helpful.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:00 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

Justin00Stang has done a lot of dyno work related to gains from single -vs- dual exhaust for n/a 4.0's, and here's a thread which may help:

https://mustangforums.com/m_3231444/...tm.htm#3244399
Old 06-05-2007, 02:13 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ford4v429>
just a comment- the GT mufflers are different part numbers for automatics/stickshifts...Ive read the Stick mufflers are considerably louder...not sure if theres an easy way to tell them apart.

The part #s tell them apart.......?????
I made sure I got a GT manual and not an automatic one.
The part#s are on the mufflers at the dealership if you
like laying on your back. Or the parts counter at the stealership???

Quick Reply: GT takeoff Analysis