Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What springs would drop my car half an inch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default What springs would drop my car half an inch?

I want to do a drop, but not a big one as anything above an inch I see as horendously tacky. What springs would drop my v6 the magic number?

Furthermore I'm going to be putting in a 1 peice carbon fiber DS at the same time. I've heard that I need a new Panhard Bar and a new set of rear Upper Control Arms that are adjustable. Is this true?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:38 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What springs would drop my car half an inch?

ORIGINAL: Legion5

I want to do a drop, but not a big one as anything above an inch I see as horendously tacky. What springs would drop my v6 the magic number?
I think the springs that would come closest to your request is the H&R sport springs...

http://mrt-direct.com/concept/Suspension/2005.php

Old 08-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

I hope some one gets to my second concern soon, and that selection is awesome!, except I would prefer like 3/4th's all around instead of slighly lower up front.

Other than that I'm also worried that it mentions the springs are harder than stock, I don't want a bone hard ride.

Finally let's add a 3rd question into the mix, can I safely paint red springs blue?

For the record my v6 is as heavy as the GT due to having the pony package. This means it will sit slightly lower than most v6's.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:14 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

For the record my v6 is as heavy as the GT due to having the pony package. This means it will sit slightly lower than most v6's.
For the record, no it isn't, unless your Pony Package included the 4.6L V8....

You're a slight bit heavier than a non-Pony 4.0 due to the swaybars but they're only partially sprung weight, and the bigger wheels and tires, but they're totally unsprung weight.

Less than an inch drop probably won't require an adjustable panhard bar, and there's only one upper control arm.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Torch_Vert

For the record, no it isn't, unless your Pony Package included the 4.6L V8....
For the record I have the car and driver car booklet which has seperate entries for v6 v8 and Pony Package v6 cars, and the PP v6 is only 13 lbs lighter than the v8 (the reason the v6 is actually lighter stock is it's lack of a grill and sway bars). From what I understand the v8 is all aluminium versus the 6's cast iron so that keeps the weight down on the bigger engine. I'm sure the engine is STILL heavier than the 6, however the 6 also has weaker axels etc to make the full engine assemblies (engine and drivetrain) weigh about the same the same.

Yeah it's about 13 lbs lighter as independently measured, I've installed a few weighty mods that I am sure weigh about 20 lbs so I beleive I am at the same weight.

You're a slight bit heavier than a non-Pony 4.0 due to the swaybars but they're only partially sprung weight, and the bigger wheels and tires, but they're totally unsprung weight.
crap! You're right! I have a lower sprung weight than a GT. You're spot on, I should be somewhere inbetween thwen instead of dead on in terms of springs ha.

Less than an inch drop probably won't require an adjustable panhard bar, and there's only one upper control arm.
Oh wow, at least it umm weighs less?

I've heard of people using adjustable panhard's for less than 1 inch drops though... but I suppose the key is, will I need a UCA with a on peice DS and a less than 1 inch drop?

I still think it's pretty ammusing that our suspention moves up and to the left instead of just up. Though I can find no possible idea that would allow the setup to work without doing this.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:52 AM
DelStang86
2nd Gear Member

go with a torque arm, and new lca's. 28hopup has the ds and lca's and until he put in the 4.10s it had no trouble hooking up with a set of street tires