Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CATS or NO CATS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: CATS or NO CATS?

Wow, you guys completely ****ed up this topic.[:'(]

All depends, I think there is some good info on this. Surely it will be a help to somebody.

righty-o......now, who makes high flow cats? doesnt pypes make them and are they worth it over our stock cats?
Not sure about anyone that makes them, you would think that pypes would. Neways im sure they would be a improvement and I would like to see the prices of some hi-flows b4 I install my setup. I bet it would also make for a better sound ontop of the small performance gain(very very small im sure).

Old 10-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill

Wow, you guys completely ****ed up this topic.[:'(]

All depends, I think there is some good info on this. Surely it will be a help to somebody.

righty-o......now, who makes high flow cats? doesnt pypes make them and are they worth it over our stock cats?
Not sure about anyone that makes them, you would think that pypes would. Neways im sure they would be a improvement and I would like to see the prices of some hi-flows b4 I install my setup. I bet it would also make for a better sound ontop of the small performance gain(very very small im sure).

yeah, i would guess the high flow cats would benefit sound more than performance.......also, just found that Pypes mini cats go for about $60 each on rpmoutlet. seems cheap to me. i'm sure someone on this forum has a pair.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:30 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

if you want to know if they hi-flo cats are worth it or not, listen to this.

I spoke with a representative of Pypes at the GoodGuys Car show that comes to Columbus every year, about what a good setup would be for my car. He said the JBA headers, and the Pypes catback duals and whichever muffler i prefer as far as sound. When i asked him about putting THEIR hi-flo cats on my car, he said it will be a waste of money, because they only flow slightly better than the stocks (400 as opposed to stock 300cfm) and all it is doing is basically consuming money in parts/installation. HE WOULDNT EVEN SELL ME HIS OWN PRODUCT. so its up to you as to whether or not you want to buy them. they may make a difference as far as sound quality. i dont know.But, the performance gains are non-existant according to Pypes.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07lane40

if you want to know if they hi-flo cats are worth it or not, listen to this.

I spoke with a representative of Pypes at the GoodGuys Car show that comes to Columbus every year, about what a good setup would be for my car. He said the JBA headers, and the Pypes catback duals and whichever muffler i prefer as far as sound. When i asked him about putting THEIR hi-flo cats on my car, he said it will be a waste of money, because they only flow slightly better than the stocks (400 as opposed to stock 300cfm) and all it is doing is basically consuming money in parts/installation. HE WOULDNT EVEN SELL ME HIS OWN PRODUCT. so its up to you as to whether or not you want to buy them. they may make a difference as far as sound quality. i dont know.But, the performance gains are non-existant according to Pypes.
wow, this is either coming from a guy who hates his boss/company and is on his way out OR his good conscious has taken over and he can't lie anymore about the improvement the high flow cats supposedly make......thanks for this info 07lane40!!!!
Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 AM
deiboe

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

wow, this is either coming from a guy who hates his boss/company and is on his way out OR his good conscious has taken over and he can't lie anymore about the improvement the high flow cats supposedly make......thanks for this info 07lane40!!!!
Pypes is a good company. They have alot of honest people. I spoke to a rep from them today about this same issue with backpressure. Except about the difference in backpressure on our V6 mustangs with a free flowing midpipe muffler system, versus their violator series on our v6s(they refused to sell their violators for our V6s because of the backpressure change)

Now I just have to wait for my mid pipe mufflers w/ xpipe to come from RPMoutlet >_<