Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 reliabilty question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:11 PM
kngdaka
4th Gear Member

Default RE: V6 reliabilty question...

I've had mine for only 4,000 miles, bought it with 45k on it.

Before I bought it, I checked the vehicle history report on the previous 45k, and the only thing wrong that was fixed was a rear pinion seal. I have had 0 issues with my car in 4k miles, no knocks, creaks, leaks, anything. I believe as is the case with most Fords, if you take car of your car as per the manual, you'll be running it for hundreds of thousands of miles. Heck, we just got rid of our old Ford Aerostar EXT (terrible looking car) a couple years back and sold it for $700. It had 288,000 miles, and the only real issue was replacing the transmission. Almost a year after we sold it, we saw our exact same car (unique dealer badges and all) still driving around.

So I'm not expecting anything going wrong for a looong time, I just need it to get me through 5 years of college. After that, I'll probably rebuild it anyway[8D]
Old 01-20-2008, 11:12 PM
powerband
2nd Gear Member

I think the American Auto Manufacturers are beginning to emerge from their past unreliable image.
And their designs will be a force for imports to reckon with.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:33 PM
wyldwmn65
2nd Gear Member

I have a 2005 and have 55,000 miles on my stang, I have had no issues. I still have the original tires and brakes and probaly still have a few thousand miles to go before they need changing. It's a great dependable car.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:53 PM
ChrisRod
2nd Gear Member

Last thursday I hydroplaned on a highway trying to avoid a drunk driver and ended upgoing nose first into a concrete wall along the side of the highway at about 65 mph or 70 mph. I dont remember the exact speed as I was more in a "yup im going towards the wall, yup this aint good" type of mindframe and 65 was the last time I checked the speedometer. Point being is even after hitting that wall and bouncing off the engine of my lil 6 was just fine, the only thing that happened to the engine is my filter popped off of my K&N. Also the axle is fine, the engine is fine, and the only damaged sustained was body damage that will be complete in 3 short days. If your looking for a reliable and durable car the v6 mustang is your car. And anybody that says mustangs are poorly built can shove it.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:57 PM
kngdaka
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ChrisRod

Last thursday I hydroplaned on a highway trying to avoid a drunk driver and ended up going nose first into a concrete wall along the side of the highway at about 65 mph or 70 mph. I dont remember the exact speed as I was more in a "yup im going towards the wall, yup this aint good" type of mindframe and 65 was the last time I checked the speedometer. Point being is even after hitting that wall and bouncing off the engine of my lil 6 was just fine, the only thing that happened to the engine is my filter popped off of my K&N. Also the axle is fine, the engine is fine, and the only damaged sustained was body damage that will be complete in 3 short days. If your looking for a reliable and durable car the v6 mustang is your car. And anybody that says mustangs are poorly built can shove it.
wow, heck of a story.

Bold: Ricky Bobby moment for sure

But, chalk another up for the Stang. These things are tanks, and thats not an understatement.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:58 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ChrisRod

Last thursday I hydroplaned on a highway trying to avoid a drunk driver and ended upgoing nose first into a concrete wall along the side of the highway at about 65 mph or 70 mph. I dont remember the exact speed as I was more in a "yup im going towards the wall, yup this aint good" type of mindframe and 65 was the last time I checked the speedometer. Point being is even after hitting that wall and bouncing off the engine of my lil 6 was just fine, the only thing that happened to the engine is my filter popped off of my K&N. Also the axle is fine, the engine is fine, and the only damaged sustained was body damage that will be complete in 3 short days. If your looking for a reliable and durable car the v6 mustang is your car. And anybody that says mustangs are poorly built can shove it.
Chris, thanks for that story... Scary sh*t, but glad to hear that you're cool, and so is the car.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: V6 reliability question...

I've had a few issues with mine. I've had it in for fueling problems (they shut the gas pump off when fueling, there is a tsb out for this), as well as a problem with the electronics in the instrument cluster. It also needed to have a fuel sensor replaced. So it's had a few issues, but overall, I still think that it's a pretty good car. My Fiance has a Toyota Camry. She doesn't think that my 'stang is very reliable. I tell her that driving a ricer is kinda like doin' it with a sheep...It feels good 'till somebody sees ya! He He.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:15 AM
powerband
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 68XR7

... is kinda like doin' it with a sheep...It feels good 'till somebody sees ya! He He.
Who saw you?

j/k
Old 01-21-2008, 12:26 AM
monty21

ya i have a similar story liek ChrisRod...basically i was coming home from work and i ended up hydropaning...i wasnt even going very fast about 55km/h legal limit here is 50 and i ended up doign a 360 and smashing into a tree on the driver side door....i ended up not having a scratch on me well except the usual whiplash but i was safe...the car was done but i mean its a very safe car...thats why i got the same car 2008 mustang (my previous car was a 2006)
Old 01-21-2008, 12:29 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

I Ain't tellin'.

Quick Reply: V6 reliabilty question...