Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Meth and intercooling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default Meth and intercooling?

Here's somequestions I have that I know some of youcan answer:
1. Is meth/water injection just as efficient at cooling as an intercooler? I hear everyone with the gains they've had with it and it seems possible.
2. Will I see as much gains with meth/water injection alone(tuned w/a littlesafeadvanced timing) as I would with an intercooler alone on the same supercharger?
I know meth injection is more dangerous to run without a lot of precautions, I was just wondering this b/c intercooler costs $800-$1k while a goodmeth kit cost $450 (not counting meth fill-ups).

Thanks for any info ahead of time!
Old 02-05-2008, 01:52 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Meth and intercooling?

1.It's NOT an replacement for an intercooler
2.You will seehigher gains with an intercooler
Old 02-05-2008, 05:28 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

you see alot of grand nationals using meth and inter cooler , on top of cooling meth is a fuel
I had a 2.3 turbo stang its intercooler was directly over the engine ,so it would heat soak in a
matter of mins. then with no cooling from the intercooler there was detonation @ 15#s of boost , but the meth injection allowed me to run 25#s of boost with no detonation,I also used
wind sheild washer fluid and alcohol ,but meth was the best , seemed to be a lot of tuning though (jet sizes,pump pressure,timing ) and so on
Old 02-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Very interesting. What's the most psi our engine can take regardless of inlet tempsas a DD ortrack caron the stock block?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

Very interesting. What's the most psi our engine can take regardless of inlet temps as a DD or track car on the stock block?
We have no idea. 10psi is a no brainier, 12psi was a little iffy last summer, but now a lot of people are running that with no problems. 14psi is somewhat rare, but is becoming more popular as the 12psi didnt seem to hurt at all. All the engines that I know of that broke were due to bad tunes, or totally unrelated issues. I know rygen popped a stock rod on his last engine, but he was running something like 17psi and a decent n2o shot (I dont remember the specifics). However, we cant be sure that 17is okay or bad because the rest of the engine was built, and with the shot of n2o, everything is up in the air.

Anyways, I know a guy who was running 27psi on his car, meth injected. The pump broke in the middle of a race (road track) and he didnt know, as there is no "bad pump light", and he blew the living **** out of the engine. That was only a few months ago. He has an M3 now, he is happy lol. I also know a guy who was just driving rough and ran out of meth, he didnt have a light and he hurt the engine pretty bad, but that could have been avoided pretty easily if he had a light.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 AM
BM83
2nd Gear Member

The meth injection works but as said before if you are relying on it to allow the use of more timing, you need to have some sort of failsafe set up incase of failure or empty tank.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:16 AM
BM83
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BM83

The meth injection works but as said before if you are relying on it to allow the use of more timing, you need to have some sort of failsafe set up incase of failure or empty tank.
This was brought to you by MR. Obvious[sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 02-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanks Mr.Obvious! Wondering, if I can get a safe meth kit/intercooled vortech w/a cobra heat exchanger(3x's as efficient as stock) do you think I will be ok running 13/14psi as a daily driver if I drive conservatively and only WOT once or twice a month? Thanks ahead for your opinions!
Old 02-06-2008, 01:17 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

if I drive conservatively and only WOT once or twice a month?
If this is your plan, why supercharge? Boost is determined by engine load and throttle position... driving as described you'll rarely be in boost.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

I willstill have extra passing power, fun power(open road a couple times a month probably, no more than 3 times a month-limiting myself), and I will test it on the track once I get the set-upthat I want completely and maybe drag radials(but I don't know if my t-lok will hold on drag radials and the power I'm shooting for). I want a powerful car, but I want areliable powerfulcar that won't need a rebuildfor awhile. It's like trading in for aGT. Your not gonna be speeding everywhere eventhough you have the100hp~ more, your still going to drive the same and let it loose every now and then. I don't believe in abusing cars, especially mine.

We all have our hobbies and mine is modding my car(as like many others on here). I spend myexcess money(don't worry I save some for the bank for the future) on my car.The supercharger and goodies is a project for me. Ienjoy putting together a beastly V6 car. I would also like to learn a lot more about cars and work on them myself in the future. My dad is supposed to get a manual(stick)project mustangcar in the summer for me to learn things and us to have a little fun. Cars is a great joy to me, so this is what Ihave decided to do. Good Luckwith your car! Anybody got any guess's and opinons for my question ^?