Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger vs Supercharger, Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

Default Supercharger vs Supercharger, Which one?

Hi, I'm a long time reader of these forums but first time poster. Which makes me feel a bit ridiculous asking this question. So here it goes.

I own a 2005 V6 Black Ford Mustang. It has Flowmaster Dual Exhaust (i think, I got it used) and a BBK CAI. Everything else is pretty much stock. I've been shopping around for the most inexpensive/powerful supercharger for a V6 out on the market. I've downed my selection to two SCs.

#1 - Steeda Mangusen X-Charger - From what I hear, runs around 6-8psi, it has full power at 2,000 RPMs, gives around 300HP, non-intercooled, usually used for street racers.

#2 - Vortech V-2 SQ Supercharger - It runs at 10psi, full power at 6,000 RPMs, gives around 330HP, intercooled, uses a 3.25 pulley.

Here's my dilemma...

A) If I go for Steeda's X-Charger, it will cost $4395, then another $1300 for installation. It comes with a SCT2 Calibrator Tuner. Since I live 20 minutes away from Steeda Headquarters, I have to pay that nice 6% tax.
Full Price Tag = $6100

B) If I go for VMPtuning.com's Vortech Supercharger, it will cost $3999, then another $1200 for installation. It comes with a SCT2 Calibrator Tuner and a supplied 3.25 pulley.
Full Price Tag = $5500
____

I want to hear some opinions on which one would be better for my car. That's vague, so let me get more specific. Should I go for Vortech because of the higher PSI and the fact that its intercooled? Or should I go with X-Charger because it has full power at lower RPMs and Steeda is a more reputible company?

I don't really go to the strips. I drive pretty much all street. And I admit, sometimes I do like to race the ricers or have a friendly kick with other mustang brethern. So which one will give more power? Which one will last longer? Which one is better for street racing? Whats the difference if the power kicks in at 2,000 RPM or 6,000 RPM? Intercooled vs non-intercooled?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated...as dropping a few thousand hard earned dollars is a big decision.

Thanks,

- Andrew
Old 03-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger vs Supercharger, Which one?

Oh yeah, my car is an automatic. If that makes any difference on opinion.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

Ok there is no way you are getting a brand new H/O vortech for 3999, cause that is around the price of the one without an intercooler.

I can sell you mine which has 2 pullies, GT500 aftermarket Intercooler (Heatchanger), and a stronger V2 head unit. The total of minewas over 6000. It's also for a 2005, so if you interested hit me up.

The vortech will give you more power at alower psi and it is intercooled. The Xcharger is ok, I have seen them in action andit was aight. Sounded cool tho.

I guess I stand corrected just saw the one at vmp's tuning but something doesn't seem right about it.[>:]
Old 03-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

The link for the VortechSuperchargeris here: http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...&parent=53

It doesn't say used....doesn't say new either. But I didn't think VMP would sell a used SC.

Thanks for offering your Vortech, but wasn't it designed for your Shelby? Thats what it seems like. Wouldn't it be like trying to slap a Mustang GT Whipple Supercharger on a V6? It wouldn't work I don't think. My V6 is too weak for that.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

Hahah I do have a v6!! Yeah kinda hard to tell. But my kit is made for your car!!
Old 03-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Your probably fine with VMP's. When I had my 4.0, I remember superchargersonline.com selling the Vortech h/o w/a tuner fr $4.2k. I'd say go vortech if your looking for your car to be the fastest it can be. That pricessound really expensive for both installs. I'd shop around if I were you, but those may be the prices of installby vortech/certifiedshops where you would have your supercharger warrantied. Good Luck! You can'tgowrong with either one.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black Mamba GTT

Hahah I do have a v6!! Yeah kinda hard to tell. But my kit is made for your car!!
Your car is beautiful :[
Old 03-18-2008, 05:12 PM
95cobby
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Maverickaf17
Thanks for offering your Vortech, but wasn't it designed for your Shelby? Thats what it seems like. Wouldn't it be like trying to slap a Mustang GT Whipple Supercharger on a V6? It wouldn't work I don't think. My V6 is too weak for that.

O man I'm dying right now... lol

Even forgot what I was gonna say haha... Ok first of all Steeda did not make the X-Charger nor should they have any credit for it. I've been to Steeda head quarters and its a mess and not very friendly. Explorer Express came up with the X-Charger. Second... Vortech is known for their superchargers and IF Steeda did make one I would go for Vortech no matter how much cheaper Steeda was.

The X-Charger is a great unit and is very fun for daily driving, sounds awesome also. You can also get an intercooler for it whenever it comes out but its prob another $1k. Easy to install.

The Vortech is also just as amazing. Sure it makes more power with the intercooler but the X will be right up there when it's IC kit comes out. Harder to install.

Just keep reading on them both and you will eventually decide.

PS: I'm sure Mamba would sell you his kit for a good deal
Old 03-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

You Bet!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:34 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

I like the Vortech. If you want any more info on it PM me.

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs Supercharger, Which one?