Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

K&N Typhoon air intake system

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 07:13 AM
DarkGaV6
2nd Gear Member

Default K&N Typhoon air intake system

Hey all,Two of the top mods I have been looking at is a CAI and dual exhaust. I know which Exhaust I am going to get but I have not decided on the CAI. Does anyonehave the K&N Typhoon air intake system?

[IMG]local://upfiles/98716/7FE9B659032442539EFF4C0597CB6EC7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-11-2008, 11:25 AM
ptkthekid
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: K&N Typhoon air intake system

Nice pony!! Be careful, most CAI's need a tune. thats the only reason I dont have one. The CAI is reasonable but, that dang XCAL is like $450!!!! Is there any way to get a tune without a hand held tuner? Custom tune? Any one know what a custom tune costs???
Old 06-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

well you'll still need a programmer to transfer the tune to your car. i think a dyno shop can tune your car without the need of a programmer but if you ever want to return it to stock, you may have to make return trips to the shop. not 100% on this but its always better to get the programmer anyways.

K&N intakes are all fine quality products that are capable of functioning without a tuner but you'll still get more potential from an intake with oversized MAF housing. it may not be much of a difference but it is there. if you like the typhoon anyways, then go for it. its a nice product that can benefit your performance much more with a custom tune.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:29 AM
am2slim69

the mmr intake does not require a tune and it is on sale on their website modularmustangracing.com for $279 . i have it on mine and it gave my car a good performance boost and an increase in gas milage. they have 3 colors to choose from. black, silver, or red. easy install. takes about 30 minutes.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:42 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ptkthekid

Nice pony!! Be careful, most CAI's need a tune. thats the only reason I dont have one. The CAI is reasonable but, that dang XCAL is like $450!!!! Is there any way to get a tune without a hand held tuner? Custom tune? Any one know what a custom tune costs???
XCal for 450? Damn you can get onefrom BAMAchips for 379 with 3 custom tunes included...

K&N and Airaid (My CAI) both dont need a tune but, will work MUCH better with one so thats definetly something to consider. I really enjoy my Airaid, noticeable performance, just saving my pennies to get a BAMA tune to really wake her up
Old 06-16-2008, 08:45 AM
oh6vee6
2nd Gear Member

I am currently running a K&N Aircharger intake and it does not require a tune. It does make the car run a bit lean though as is evidenced by the complete lack of soot in my tailpipes. It doesn't throw any codes and it passed emissions this way also. I will get a tune in the next month or two to hopefully resolve this. I am expecting better power and mileage with the tune. Bama here I come!!

Old 06-16-2008, 04:33 PM
redmenace

From what I've learned, running leaner actually produces more power than running rich. Plus, burning less gas is more fuel efficient. The drawback is they run hotter. The leaner you can run without heating up too much, the better. You just have to pay attention to your gauges. Get an AFR gauge to moniter the air/fuel ratio, and a more precise temp gauge. I don't know if these cars come with a narrowband or wideband o2 sensor, but you want a wideband.

With the laziness of car owners nowadays, everything is set on the safe side. Cars have idiot lights instead of gauges that have to be monitored, oil change lights instead of tracking mileage, and are programmed for a stoichiometric fuel mixture. This is the balance between fuel efficiency (because performance really isn't a goal with manufacturers in most cases, EPA and gas crunches made this happen) and keeping the engine from running too hot.

It's awesome that these cars can be reprogrammed, on my car I would have to get a piggyback or standalone fuel management system to tune it.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:38 PM
ruski0suka3
1st Gear Member

I have S&B intake and thinking bout changing it to either K&N or MMR
Old 06-22-2008, 09:20 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

Hey DarkGaV6,

I am currently running the K&N Typhoon Intake. The only reason I got the K&N Typhoon intake over a C&L and others was that it came with a CARB sticker (I live in California) and my dad had told me that if I got an intake that was CA emissions approved he would pay for it.

I have had the intake for about a year or so now and am very satisfied with it. I ran the intake for about a week and a half to two weeks without a tune and noticed a little difference. There was a marginal increase in throttle response, but other than that...nothing too major. I think on the K&N website they have a dyno sheet that says it has like a ~7hp gain, but I really didn't notice anything too much performance wise. However, once I got my tunes from doug and loaded them in there was a huuuge difference. I noticed a significant increase in power and the throttle lag was seemingly non-existent.

So, as far as my recommendation to you, I would say to save up and go for a CAI/tuner combo. The K&N intake is great, but nothing special unless you have a tune. The tune is what makes all the difference. Hope this helps some, let me know if you have any questions.

**and as a side and off-topic note...geeze sancho, when did you rack up all those posts..haha. I haven't been on here in a while.