Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

To ditch or not to ditch the rocker stripes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default RE: To ditch or not to ditch the rocker stripes...

ORIGINAL: GstangT

Its personal preference, and depends on the car. I think mine looked better without. It gave it a much cleaner look:

ur right but the colors make a big difference plus ur not rocking the top stripes.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:34 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Puckhog407

I'm in the same predicament ... I want to take them off but I also think MG is one color that they look good on. I just bought a bottle of Goo-Gone yesterday so I guess my decision is made. They'll be off this week sometime ... I'll try to post some pics.
I agree with you Puckhog. Mineral Grey looks pretty nice with black striping. I saw a nice MG before I left San Antonio that had a single,gloss black hood stripe that was pretty wideand it looked great.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:43 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

ORIGINAL: VictoriaRR

Haha, it's treating me fairly well, thank you. I do miss Texas though... I miss my Whataburger so bad! There's nothing like it here. And yeah, the BBQ is dearly missed in my heart as well.
i'm sure you'll miss texas bbq but you might soon discover california bbq . up here in ventura & santa barbara county, we religiously eat bbq tr-tip and good ol carne ranchera [8D]. yum yum.

LOL, anyways good decision on keeping the rocker stripes for now. maybe its the color of your ride or the PP grille but the stripes go very well with it. JMO.
Oh all this BBQ talk is making me really, REALLY want some. My dad is very skilled with barbeque and he even built himself a structure in his backyard with a giant barbeque pit and he makes it all the time. Trouble is, well, I'm not there to enjoy it! I'll have to get up to Santa Barbara sometime to see what it's like there. Sounds great!

And yeah, like I said I think the setup I have on my car right now is pretty effective. I wouldn't want to make it less so. But again, at some point I probably will get rid of the racing stripes... partly to change things up but mostly because they won't last forever. They're holding up very well nearly a year later but they do have a few spots here and there and they have some tiny creases under the spoiler. Not to mention my ex roommate slightly bumped my rear bumper with her car (though she would never admit to it) and she tore the vinyl in a couple spots around the license plate. Initially I wanted to paint them on but it was very expensive to do. I'm glad I went with vinyls because that gives me the chance to do something different next time. When that time comes, I'm thinking of maybe just doing a single matte black hood stripe (kind of like the Roush) and a matte blackout at the rear. Of course I'll remove the rocker stripes at that piont as well (can't have gloss black and matte black meshed together). It'll be more simple but I've seen that same setup on a Tungsten Grey sixxer in person and it looked superb.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:28 PM
S197stang

get rid of the stripes. it looks way cleaner. with it off the geometry basically gets highlighted...your eyes don't get drawn away from the car
Old 07-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Black Pony 4.0

I keep thinking about taking mine off. I think the car looks shorter and a little meaner w/o the stripe.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:05 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

well i can see that many folks have different opinions, and thats great! heres mine:

everytime I see a v6 without the stripe and without the pony package, i say "there goes the cheapest possible mustang"
Old 07-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Puckhog407
2nd Gear Member

Off they came today ... I have to look at it a few thousand more times to be sure, but I think I like how clean it looks. In some ways, the rocker stripes scream "I'm a 6" ... and don't get me wrong, I couldn't be happier with my car and I'm not trying to pose as an 8, but all of us change our minds over time. If I go with another rocker stripe in the future, I'm going with something solid, thicker or more aggressive looking. Maybe a custom stripe of some kind.

Victoria, when I paint them I was thinking the one, matte super stripe, but I like how the two racing stripes lne up with my center fogs, so I'll have to see. One thing I'd love to add is a blackout panel on the rear deck (I even bought one already) but unless I remove the stripes or just go with a hood stripe, I won't be using it.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:47 AM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

i have always been a fan of the rocker stripe on tungstens...