Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Vortech Owners - DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Silver Vert 06
2nd Gear Member

Its a good idea to run guages. If it were my car I would get wideband, fuel pressure, and oil pressure guages. I'm sure you could find a way to mount the guages that would look good. I've even heard of people hiding guages inside the glovebox. That wouldn't be a bad idea. When you need to look at them you can open the glovebox and make sure everything is in check. Just think of guages as a safety measure. You may lose that factory look by having aftermarket guages, but it could save you some money by allowing you to monitor your engine. After spending all that money on a supercharger it would suck to blow up the engine because you didn't know that it was running lean.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:34 AM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Silver Vert 06
Its a good idea to run guages. If it were my car I would get wideband, fuel pressure, and oil pressure guages. I'm sure you could find a way to mount the guages that would look good. I've even heard of people hiding guages inside the glovebox. That wouldn't be a bad idea. When you need to look at them you can open the glovebox and make sure everything is in check. Just think of guages as a safety measure. You may lose that factory look by having aftermarket guages, but it could save you some money by allowing you to monitor your engine. After spending all that money on a supercharger it would suck to blow up the engine because you didn't know that it was running lean.
Would the compter in the car tell u its lean with a code?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:09 PM
wynsboy

if the stock mustangs injectors are 42#, why would you get 39# injectors. doesnt more fuel mean more power?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:16 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The stocks aren't 42, they're like 18 or 20 or 24. You have to have at least 42's to get enough fuel for forced/induction.

If you rely on the engine to throw codes when it leans out, that will be waaaaaaaaay too late and you'll have a blown up engine if you ever do get in a lean condition. You've got to know its lean before the computer tells you its lean.

You want gauges where you can use them ALL THE TIME. Being able to glance over and see, for example, that the air/fuel ratio is way high for some reason, and you know it shouldn't be that high; you can stop and figure out the problem and more importantly, stay out of boost and not risk damaging your engine.

There's lots of places to mount gauges, including the pillar pod (as in my sig) and console that sits in the center of the dash. Some put them in the vents, some down by the radio. You want them where you can glance at them and not look too far off the road. Believe me, when you haulin' down the track, you dont want to have to look at your gauges for very long; glance over and make sure things are ok then get your eyes back on the road.