Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Forced Induction

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:56 PM
bmasek89
2nd Gear Member

Default Forced Induction

Not totally in the market right now but possibly in the next few months. Right now I am putting on CAI+tune and headers to make the next move up. But Im kind of lost as to the differneces between Superchargers and Turbos. I have heard that turbos have far greater potential and are better for smaller engines such as a v6. I have also heard that turbos will outlast a SC. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Also brands would help in finding an appropriate setup. Also, does anyone else seem to have any issues with turbos on American muscle...?
Old 07-27-2009, 05:07 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Google will answer most of your questions as to how s/c or t/c work. The x charger is the s/c of choice for a reason. Power House makes a good t/c system. STS also makes a t/c. You could always try and build a turbo
Old 07-28-2009, 01:23 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

There's numerous choices available now, in full kits, partial kits, upgrade paths, etc.
There are many other things that you'll want or need to upgrade along with F/I (like rear end and suspension, fuel delivery capabilities, etc.)

If I were to do it again, I'd probably do a turbo setup. Although I have no regrets doing the supercharger setup; it's a lot of fun . At the time, the available choices and cost of supercharging was quite a bit less than the cost of putting in a turbo, so that's what I did. Turbos tend to produce more torque.

I don't agree with the statement that the 'xcharger is the supercharger of choice'; that's only one option for supercharging, and it has its benefits and limitations (not currently an aftercooler for the Xcharger, whereas for centri's like Vortechs and Prochargers, you can put various aftercoolers and run more boost).

You're doing right but starting your research ahead of time. Take your time and find out all the other things you'll probably want to upgrade, too. You can do things over time, too, like getting things ready for F/I. But if you're doing turbo, you wouldn't want to do long tube headers, but for a supercharger, you might want to. Upgrading the rear end ahead of time can be done, too.

Good luck, and keep us posted.