Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

best supercharger for my 4.0 stang

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:44 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Also, getting 330's with Vortech or Prochargers is getting close pushing the internal limits of the stock engine. You CAN hit those with an intercooled setup, using smaller supercharer pulleys to do so. There is a limit, and which is why I decided to bail out of the Vortech on the V6 and go with a V8 swap and add a power adder from there.

All depends what you're looking for, too. If you want something more for the street, easy to install and maintain, then a Vortech is a good choice, as is an x-charger. With a vortech or procharger, you can get more power because they are intercooled; with an intercooler option for the X coming out, that should bring it in line with the centri's.

Whatever you decide to do, YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 08:13 PM
07ssixer

Im not gonna start on it until it comes out of storage in may when all the salts offf the roads, mn kinda sucks to have a nice car because of the weather. anyways rygen, read alot about your car when it had the sixer in it. Very impressive! I dont need it to be a full blown ddrag car like chris' is and I dont need it to run in the 10's or 11's like yours was. I guess the 440 rwhp setup that I was qouteing was just to see what the replies were on a setup like that. I'd like to maybe mid 12's in a quarter (12.4-12.7). def. needs t-lok and a good set of gears in it. Do you recommend the 3:73's?
What would I all need to run mid 12's, full blown engine build or maybe a procharger with 12 psi, set of gears, and?........
Budgets only around $8k and I figured chris set up (JUST MOTOR BUILD AND SUPERCHARGER was around $11k just for the parts no labor cause we can do that dad, myself , and uncles) Thanks rygen let me know what you think I should all do

Last edited by 07ssixer; 12-14-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
How is a procharger safer? Better numbers yes, if you are into chasing digits
Intercooler. I know that X-charger is working on one, but I've been hearing that for a LONG time. Personally, I'd never install any level of boost without an intercooler, but that's just me. As I said, I like the X-charger for its ease of installation, and I definitely prefer positive displacement superchargers, but if I had a 4.0, I'd have to go with the procharger.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Intercooler. I know that X-charger is working on one, but I've been hearing that for a LONG time. Personally, I'd never install any level of boost without an intercooler, but that's just me. As I said, I like the X-charger for its ease of installation, and I definitely prefer positive displacement superchargers, but if I had a 4.0, I'd have to go with the procharger.
Actually all the parts development for the X intercooler is done. Kits will be hitting the streets any day.

As far as running without an intercooler, as long as the tuning is proper and the boost level is reasonable, it's a perfectly safe and valid way to go. An intercooler is definitely an enhancement to a supercharger setup, but it's hardly a requirement.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:05 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that lb. for lb. of boost, the intercooled motor will always be safer than the non-intercooled motor. I'm definitely a fan of the X. Can't wait to see what kind of intercooler setup they bring to the table. They got pictures yet?